Search for content in message boards

Maillards from Alsace around 1840, several others 1854, 1872-3, to Wayne, Stark Counties, Ohio

Replies: 0

Maillards from Alsace around 1840, several others 1854, 1872-3, to Wayne, Stark Counties, Ohio

Posted: 1 Feb 2014 12:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maillard, Blanchard, Meyer, Brady
My apologies if this should be in immigration/naturalization, the forum categories overlap a bit here, it seems.

I'm curious about the ships the following came over on if anyone can help:
1. Pierre Maillard (bapt. Pierre Nicholas, Maillard Salin 1815) and Susan Maillard (maiden name Curie, b. 1822) and his parents, Jean-Jacques and marguerit. they came from Haut-Rhin in Alsace & settled in Mount Eaton, Wayne County, OH. Naturalization recrods say 1848 but I think that's when naturalization occurred as their 2 daughters were apparently both born in Ohio.

2. Alcide Blanchard with others all apparently Swiss, to U.S. in 1854, also sttled in Mt. Eaton. Death cert. says born Seloncourt, France but other info says Saicourt, Switzerland and borders were fluid enough both coudlb e right.

3. While I'm at it, Matthias Meyer apparently also came to the U.S. in 1854 and settled in Brooke County, then Virginia, now West Virginia. Originally from Baden-Wurttemberg.(sp?)

4. Finally, John P. (1815-1875) and Margaret Brady (1824-1891, maiden name Maley) had 11 kids. They came in shifts from Ireland and Margie, the youngest, was born in St. John's Point, according to the article at the time of her death in 1911. Among their 11 children were those mentioned as having survived Gargaret/Maggie when she died - Kate (never married), William, Patrick, Mary Ann (unsure if she married), Anna (married William Fitzgerald), James, and Mary (married Jacob Dyer). All married after coming from Ireland, so no spouses.

John P. Brady may have come as early as 1870 but was not in the '7 census for Ohio so it was after that he got to Stark Count, Ohio.

Of course they didn't go on the ship right to NE Ohio. :-) But, I'm not sure where they would have docked in those days before Ellis Island was the main hub.

Thanks for any help/info you can provide.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions