Search for content in message boards

Hamburg to New York Passenger list 1887

Replies: 13

Re: Hamburg to New York Passenger list 1887

Posted: 12 Jun 2014 8:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Robert:
Thank you for your response. I would very much like to have your help. I have visually looked at a number of passenger lists but have not found anything. I have found my Grandmother Elizabeth Csipkar and her sister my Great Aunt Anna Csipkar who brought my Grandmother over from Slovakia. I have found some Sotaks but not very many but there quite a few throughout the USA.

My Grandfather is supposed to be born on August 24, 1868. However on several census records he cites 1867. Not really sure why that is. He came from the village of Zbudske Bela a Valentovce, Slovakia. The Hungarian name for the village is Izbugya-Bela Valentocz. He lists it as Bellak, Austria on his Naturalization Application.

He is listed in the 1900 Census Records as a boarder in Lansford, Pennsylvania. It is my understanding that this was his intended city. My Grandmother came over in 1901 and after a month she and my Grandfather married in Lansford, PA. at St. John’s Byzantine Greek Catholic Church. I have the marriage registration. In the 1910 Census he has mover to the village next to Lansford called Coaldale and that town is in a different county.

I have his work record from Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company. My Grandfather was a miner and died in the mines in 1923 leaving a pregnant wife and eight children. The earliest entry is for 1893, working inside Mine #4. His work record lists his name as Alex Sotack.

On my Grandfather’s Naturalization Application and on the Certificate his name is listed as Alek Sotak.

On my Grandfather’s marriage license his name is listed as Elec Sotack.

On my Mother’s Confirmation Certificate from St. John’s his name is listed as Elias Szotak.

My Mom said that they always thought his name was Alec Sotak.

A cousin (Ralph Sotak) now deceased told me that his first name was really Elijah but it would have shown up as Illija or Ilia.

You can imagine that I have done searches for all sorts of combinations of the name.

On his Naturalization Application he states that he emigrated from Hamburg, Germany and arrived in New York on or about June 28, 1887. I did notice that the application has a stamped New York in the two blank places so it is possible that the clerk just assumed he came through New York. The reason I say this is that there is a story in the family that he came through Baltimore but I have no evidence of that.

In the 1900 Census Record my Grandfather lists the immigration year as 1885 but the 1910 and 1920 Census Records list the immigration year as 1887.

In addition to all of this - I was a member of the 1990 American Delegation to monitor the elections in Croatia. I saved my credentials and a campaign button in a framed piece. I do not have any kids to hand it down to so I wondered if your museum would like to have it as a donation. I was also a member of the 1990 Delegation to Czechoslovakia and I plan to give the material from that to the Czech and Slovak Museum in Cedar Rapids.Iowa. Let me know.

Cary
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Robert Jerin 6 Jun 2014 1:46AM GMT 
CaryWBlankens... 6 Jun 2014 2:28AM GMT 
CaryWBlankens... 12 Jun 2014 2:05PM GMT 
FindSarahJane 20 Oct 2014 8:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic