Search for content in message boards

Packet Ship Zurich - New York and Havre - Ship Master Oldaker

Replies: 2

Packet Ship Zurich - New York and Havre - Ship Master Oldaker

Posted: 1 Aug 2014 2:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Oldaker
I have seen New York newspaper notices from the 1860s - the Marine Intelligence columns - where the ship Zurich is reported as arriving at (Le) Havre, France, leaving (Le) Havre, and arriving at/leaving the port of New York. The surname of the ship master/captain, is listed after the name of the ship: Oldaker.

I have found an 1862 list of ship masters and mates who held numbered certificates verifying that they met marine insurer requirements for sailing ships and being responsible for passengers and cargoes. One of the certified ship masters in the 1862 list was a Capt. Henry Oldaker.

Right now, I cannot verify if the certified Capt. Henry Oldaker was the same person who was the ship master of the packet ship Zurich during the 1860s.

I have found an 1864 New York City Directory (Trow's New York City Directory) listing:
Oldaker, Henry, seaman
I can only think he was the same person as the Capt. Henry Oldaker with the marine insurance certificate.

I will be grateful if someone can direct me to a source of information which may give me a definite answer as to the first name of the ship master Oldaker of the packet ship Zurich during the 1860s.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdelauche 1 Aug 2014 8:39PM GMT 
T_Pein 8 Aug 2014 3:32PM GMT 
jdelauche 10 Aug 2014 4:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic