Search for content in message boards

1822 Ship Catherine St Andrews to Bridgeport, Connecticut with Irish on it

Replies: 15

Re: 1822 Ship Catherine St Andrews to Bridgeport, Connecticut with Irish on it

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Mar 2013 5:32PM GMT
Surnames: Polk/Pollock
There was a ship, the ABERCORN, left Londonderry, Ireland for Wilmington with lots of youngsters on it, and others in their twenties - and I have a feeling that this might have been to do with the Potato Famine in Ireland at about that time. I am only guessing because I don't know the true dates of the famine, just that it was around that time.

The ABERCORN had 471 passengers, and among them was a Robert POLK aged 5 and with him a John POLK aged 6.

....However, they arrived 28 May 1840 and I think you were looking for a voyage around 20 years earlier, so that is a drawback. ... I had a look at the first page of the Passenger List, and it seems to be saying that the full name of the ship was the MARCHIONESS of ABERCORN, although it isn't clear to make out.

...If you can't find "UK to Atlantic Ports" on Ancestry, you can get the passenger list by googling "Ancestry - Ships Passenger Lists - UK to Atlantic Ports 1820-1873." When the page comes up, type in surname POLK. Birth: Ireland. Departed: Ireland. Ship ABERCORN. Gender Male. Race: Irish.

I think you have to take into account that there were lots of mis-spellings in those days, and POLK could be POLLOCK.
It probably isn't them but it is the nearest match I could find,

Brian

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Wuzentmee 15 Mar 2013 1:14PM GMT 
BrianMartin62... 15 Mar 2013 4:13PM GMT 
Wuzentmee 15 Mar 2013 4:21PM GMT 
Wuzentmee 29 Mar 2013 7:10PM GMT 
BrianMartin62... 29 Mar 2013 11:31PM GMT 
Wuzentmee 30 Mar 2013 12:51AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions