Search for content in message boards

John Adam Adamson

Replies: 7

Re: John Adam Adamson

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 4:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Anna

Thanks for the response

Unfortunately I very little information although I do have a scan of part of the hand written marriage certificate which I have attached. I have guessed what his mother's surname may have been based on what it possibly sounded like when spoken with a Swedish accent as the writing and spelling indicates that the person filling in the certificate was not very profficient at written English.
I understand that John and his brother did emigrate to NZ together and because they possibly worked for their passage there is no record of them on passenger lists. John was a carpenter by trade.
I don't know whether they came directly to NZ - It may have been via the UK the US or Australia.
They apparently arrived in Christchurch (or Timaru) and went to the West Coast of the South Island from there. I found a grave site in Ross which is on the West Coast of the South Island for a Henry Adamson - Roman Catholic but all church records were destroyed in a fire. I know that John was a catholic and may have left Sweden because of his religon - I understand that the Catholic religion was not popular in the mid 1980s.
John's death certificate (1917) states he had been in NZ for 40 years so his arrival would have been in approx. 1877.

Regards

Dale
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ddcew 21 Jul 2012 5:39AM GMT 
avipe 5 Jan 2013 10:16PM GMT 
ddcew 5 Jan 2013 11:21PM GMT 
avipe 6 Jan 2013 12:07AM GMT 
ddcew 6 Jan 2013 2:02AM GMT 
avipe 6 Jan 2013 10:23AM GMT 
ddcew 6 Jan 2013 6:24PM GMT 
avipe 6 Jan 2013 6:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions