Search for content in message boards

POPP - Emigration of 7 Brothers to New York

Replies: 0

POPP - Emigration of 7 Brothers to New York

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 5:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Popp
This is the only information the only living relative can give me. If anyone has any information that may be a connection, please contact me.

Seven brothers emigrated to the United States from Germany at one time. The brother that is my family connection was age 13 and worked as a cobbler in New York. Possibly his name was John?

He married and came down the Ohio river from New York to what is now Midland, Pennsylvania. In 1785 the United States of America consisted of 13 original states. This part of the country was called The Northwest Territory. My Grandfather, John Edward Popp said they got off the river boat, walked up the long hill above what is now the town of Midland, PA and started their homestead.

His son, John married Susanna and started another farm in the same area. (Listed now possibly as Ohio Township?)

Historical Fact: 1785 development of this Territory paved the way for the rest of the country. The Treaty of Fort McIntosh in Beaver, PA was signed by the U.S. Committee on Indian Affairs, chaired by Thomas Jefferson. George Rogers Clark, Richard Butler and Arthur Lee were sent to Fort McIntosh to meet with the Chiefs of the Delaware, Ottawa, Chippewa and Wyandot nations.

THE POINT OF BEGINNING, appropriately named, is where the survey began on the northern bank of the Ohio River in Ohioville, PA. Beaver County at that time was the edge of the nation's western frontier! Congress appointed Thomas Hutchins, the first geographer of the United States to make the survey. This is the nations most prominent national monument. It's the zero point for all the surveys made in the United States. There is a granite monument to comemorate the Point Of Beginning.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions