Search for content in message boards

Immigration from Gostynin - through Hamburg?

Replies: 22

Re: Immigration from Gostynin - through Hamburg?

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Your latest message was directed to me I suppose because I once put a small point about German spelling which seemed to be puzzling people on the board. Back to your original question. I would think there is a good possibility that your ancestors used what was known as the "indirect route" - google will give you a lot of links. Put shortly a vast number of emigrants, particularly from Poland and Russia left from Baltic ports - Libau (Liepaja), Memel (Klaipedia)Danzig (Gdansk), Gdynia. They bought a through ticket from home station to ship - to England (mostly east coast ports), rail ticket to Liverpool, Glasgow or Leith mostly for North America, Southampton for Australia or South Africa. The stream was so big that a special station solely for emigrants in transit was built in Grimsby in addition to the "ordinary" station. Ships from Hamburg and Bremen also used this route the main reason being that it was much cheaper than taking the regular service big line trans-Atlantic ships. The main shipping line involved in the Baltic runs, especially from Scandinavia, was the Wilson Line which almost had a monopoly on the trade. It could well be worth investigating these routes and don't forget that Bremen itself, as well as Bremerhaven (two different places!) also took a lot of emigrant trade - it wasn't just Hamburg. Hope these ideas have some use for you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jarmilarusina... 28 Jan 2013 7:38PM GMT 
jarmilarusina... 23 Feb 2013 11:58PM GMT 
collageman 24 Feb 2013 5:33PM GMT 
halpark 25 Feb 2013 1:32AM GMT 
halpark 5 Jan 2010 1:07PM GMT 
Vonweissman3 6 Feb 2010 1:42PM GMT 
collageman 8 Feb 2010 1:54AM GMT 
pjv13161 28 Jan 2013 5:56PM GMT 
JerryFrank59 30 Jan 2013 5:26PM GMT 
halpark 30 Mar 2013 2:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions