Search for content in message boards

missing family

Replies: 10

Re: missing family

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 8:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
No need to apologize. We all started somewhere. Though I had family to ask, they either could not or would not share anything with me. Yet I managed to track my mother's side of the family back to 1560 in Wuerttemberg. It took lots of years to do it.

Freibaum definitely sounds Germanic. However, when I look at all the Freibaum that came in through Ellis Island, I see most of them with names like Berl, Chane, Gemandel, etc. which all suggest Jewish origin. The same applies to Bernstein. I know of ethnic German families with surnames like Czarnecki, Lewandowski, Girschewski, Borkowski, etc. The surname does not always clearly define the origin.

You may be able to track origins through the community in which they lived, the synagogue the attended (or church if my assumption is wrong), passenger ship records, etc. Bernstein might be difficult to track. Over 4000 with that surname came through Ellis Island alone. However, there were only 13 Freibaum. That branch should be much easier to trace though you may have to investigate other ports to find your specific ancestor.

Vindright is so unusual that search results are virtually nil. Windright has a few entries but neither sounds east European. Your family lore about that surname may not be accurate OR this person may not be from eastern Europe.

I encourage you to keep digging. It may take awhile but something may pop up. Sometimes genealogy is relatively simple but sometimes it is hard slogging work. I've been searching for the origin of one branch of my ethnic German family in Poland (historically Russia) for over 20 years and finally found it just before Christmas.

Good luck.

Jerry
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Anne_Berns 5 Jan 2013 1:00AM GMT 
JerryFrank59 7 Jan 2013 3:25PM GMT 
Anne_Berns 8 Jan 2013 3:24AM GMT 
JerryFrank59 8 Jan 2013 3:35PM GMT 
Anne_Berns 8 Jan 2013 9:27PM GMT 
halpark 9 Jan 2013 8:28PM GMT 
Anne_Berns 10 Jan 2013 12:51AM GMT 
halpark 9 Jan 2013 8:31PM GMT 
pjaninevargo 29 Mar 2013 9:15PM GMT 
JerryFrank59 29 Mar 2013 10:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions