Search for content in message boards

Rehlich/Rolich from Russia to Pennsylvania and Michigan

Replies: 2

Rehlich/Rolich from Russia to Pennsylvania and Michigan

Posted: 27 May 2013 7:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 May 2013 8:28AM GMT
Peter and Wilhelmina Rehlich adopted two girls in Russia. The girls entered Ellis Island with them on April 25, 1900. They are named Auguste and Maria. Later in their adult life they were known and Augusta (Gustie) and Marie. I'd like to find out who the biological parents of these girls were. The surname on the Ellis Island manifest showed their last name spelled Rolich.

The parents of the girls probably are relatives of the Rolichs. Peter and Wilhelmina moved to Michigan with their adopted daughters, and later to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania after the girls grew up. The daughters both ended up living in Wisconsin as farm wives.

Associated names may be Busse, Sonnenberg, Wittler. Wilhelmina Rolich was apparently a BUSSE.

Does anyone know the story behind this adoption? The hometown or village they list is illegible. It looks like the first letter is a P or R. The last letter is probably an O. It appears to be a six-letter word.

I am going to try the websites suggested throughout this message board. Another Ancestry member told me to try the churches in Michigan where they lived when the girls were growing up, as their records may have the names of their parents. (She also helped me find the Ellis Island manifest.) As long as I am here at this message board, I am placing my question. Perhaps an answer will come more quickly from here than on a site.

Peter was 32 in 1900; Wilhelmina 26. Auguste was 7 and Marie 4-3/4. Country listed was Russia. I know they were Germans who settled in Russia because that is what Marie's daughter said. She is still alive at age 93.

Thanks for your help!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
najochri1 27 May 2013 1:04PM GMT 
bartelfam2 19 Jun 2013 1:52AM GMT 
sieberk 19 Jun 2013 8:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions