Search for content in message boards

Lebenslauf of Raffael Berger--1944

Replies: 6

Re: Lebenslauf of Raffael Berger--1944

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 4:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is that a Freudian slip or just having a laugh - Raffael Berger's Lebenslaugh? There are a couple of other points which may be of use. In No. 1 it says he was the son of "Bauren" - this obviously should be Bauern which you have translated as peasant. Bauer is actually a farmer, renting, or owning, his own farm. A peasant would be more likely to be referred to as a "Kleinbauer" or "armer Bauer" - indicating he did not own any land. He refers to the GPU in 1937. I think it had been replaced by the NKVD in 1934 - but I suppose locally they probably had not grasped that and it was really just the same nasty organisation.

For No. 9 you say "the German National Railroad railway depot". This has to be the German (or Deutsche) Reichsbahn which was the name of the company and it is impossible to say "Railroad railway depot. Railroad is simply American for railway - or railway is simply English for railroad. In addition I believe Americans say depot for what English refers to as the station. The original says he is working for the Deutsche Reichsbahn Bahnbetriebswerk in Liegnitz. This does translate as depot - but the depot in English is the workshops where the locomotives , carriages etc., are cleaned, repaired, sometimes even built - not the station where people get on or off. It would be possible to say German Railways' Depot at Liegnitz but this could be confusing because it might be thought of as today's railway which is Deutsche Bahn - or more simply DB and Liegnitz is no longer in Germany anyway, it is in Poland, called Legnica and any railway there will be run by PKP (Polskie Koleje Panstwowe) the Polish State railways. Better to stick to Deutsche Reichsbahn which it was when he wrote. And there are still people who think translation is easy as long as you know a bit of the language!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rj_fleck 24 Aug 2013 4:34PM GMT 
KlausWa 1 Sep 2013 4:59PM GMT 
halpark 2 Sep 2013 10:22AM GMT 
halpark 2 Sep 2013 3:32PM GMT 
rj_fleck 2 Sep 2013 4:56PM GMT 
halpark 2 Sep 2013 10:17PM GMT 
rj_fleck 5 Sep 2013 3:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic