Search for content in message boards

Lebenslauf of Raffael Berger--1944

Replies: 6

Re: Lebenslauf of Raffael Berger--1944

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 10:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
I appreciate the translation help from both of you. I thought Raffael’s penmanship was quite legible. However, from the help I got from halpark I see that there were some critical words that I either misinterpreted, or just plain had wrong. I spent much time with the Google translator. Mostly it was from German to English, which ends up as very stilted English. Then when I got really lost I would try translating what I thought was being said from English to German. That worked once or twice, but mostly led may even further astray. Anyway, below is what ended up with as the Lebenslaugh for Raffael Berger.

Regards,
Bob Fleck

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On 02/16/1917 I was born the son of the peasants Raffael Berger and his wife Monika Fleck in Steinfeld, Bratskoje County, territory Woznesensk, Ukraine.

At 6 years I attended school for the first time. Since there were no German schools in the Soviet state at that time, we were taught at home. The teachers were paid for by the German farmers. Later, German schools were opened and in 1932 Father let me go to Landau, Odessa to school. Later that year, the great famine broke out. Since it affected my parents hard, my father had to take me back, and I had to go to work on the Collective Farm.

On 18.9.1932 I was directed to accompany a grain truck from the Collective Farm. During a trip to the collection site, the truck driver drove under a passing train. I was severely injured and my right leg had to be amputated. After my convalescence, the Collective board sent me for a six-month course to learn to be a bookkeeper for the Collective. When I finished this course, I worked as an assistant clerk in the office until 1934. In the same year they established a German school in our village, which I attended until 1936.
Since I had no desire to go back to the Collective Farm, I moved to Arkhangelsk where I worked for 11 months as a warehouse manager for a construction company.

In 1937 I attended a training course in Arkhangelsk as a teacher of German in Russian schools. However as my father was arrested by the GPU shortly afterwards, followed by the arrest of my brother a bit later, I was thrown out of the course and returned home again.
1938-39 I worked as a group leader at a tractor brigade in the fields.

From 1.1.1940 - 1.10.1941 I worked as a warehouse manager at the Collective Farm.

From January 10, 1941 to November 1, 1943 I was an interpreter for the farmers in the district Blagodatnoje, territory Perwomaisk with the German civil administration. On November 2, I was resettled in Greater Germany with my family and my mother, by the order of the Reichs Commissioner for the Ukraine.

Since 22 Nov 1943 I have been working at the German National Railroad railway depot Liegnitz.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rj_fleck 24 Aug 2013 4:34PM GMT 
KlausWa 1 Sep 2013 4:59PM GMT 
halpark 2 Sep 2013 10:22AM GMT 
halpark 2 Sep 2013 3:32PM GMT 
rj_fleck 2 Sep 2013 4:56PM GMT 
halpark 2 Sep 2013 10:17PM GMT 
rj_fleck 5 Sep 2013 3:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions