Search for content in message boards

How to handle change of surname after immigration/naturalization ?

Replies: 0

How to handle change of surname after immigration/naturalization ?

Posted: 23 Dec 2013 8:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Plattner, Ploettner
I am interested to see if there is a recommended way to handle people in my tree that changed their surname after immigrating from Germany and becoming naturalized citizens in the US. The given name in Germany and on documents for immigration is "Ploettner". The name on the naturalization documents and for all the children born in the US is "Plattner". The naturalization documents have attachments that indicate the name was changed from "Ploettner" to "Plattner".

Currently for the mother and father that immigrated, I have their preferred surname as "Plattner" and the alternate name as "Ploettner". The same goes for the four children they immigrated with, but any descendants after that I only list the "Plattner" surname.

I'm considering going back and making the preferred names for the family that immigrated "Ploettner" and the alternate name "Plattner" since that would be more accurate and possibly help me in records searching.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers to web resources that discuss this topic.
-darren

Find a board about a specific topic