Search for content in message boards

German Merchant Marine

Replies: 4

Re: German Merchant Marine

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 6:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Koopmann, Kopmann
Hi Robert,

Thanks. The info I heard regarding Heinrich was that he had been an NCO in the German Army and was part of Kaiser Wilhelm II's palace guard. This is true as I have numerous pictures of him as such. He apparently went into the German Merchant Marine after that and came to the US several times. Then there was a period when he worked in Brooklyn and drove a horse drawn delivery truck for a food market. When the family came to the US in 1911 the oldest child was 7 so he would have had to been married in 1904 or earlier. His wife name was Marie Hage and her mother's surname was Stuht. Heinrich's mother's surname was Oest. I was only 5 when he died so I didn't really know him and there is no longer anyone alive who can tell me anything more. I know Heinrich had a tattoo of an anchor and a star on his left hand. Also, all of the papers I have for him from Germany including his birth certificate and his children's spells his surname as Kopmann not Koopman although everything from the US for him and his children has the name spelled Koopman. Also the name is Koopman for everyone on the ships paper's/ticket receipt(?) from the Hamburg-America Line.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rckoop 16 Sep 2012 2:04AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 18 Sep 2012 12:54AM GMT 
rckoop 22 Sep 2012 5:57PM GMT 
Robert Jerin 22 Sep 2012 8:52PM GMT 
rckoop 23 Sep 2012 12:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic