Search for content in message boards

Need advice for confirming ancestors

Replies: 0

Need advice for confirming ancestors

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 1:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor, Russell, Wilhelm, Kirksey
I have been on a quest to find my husband's Taylor line back to the time his 4th grandfather left Ireland for America. I have traced his line to the 1840 census in Madison County Alabama, which IS the family of his 4th great grandfather, but he has died prior to this census and his wife Elenor is listed as the hoh. Some other sources say this Taylor was born in 1780/85 and died in 1839 in Madison County Alabama and I have not been able to contact them for the source of that information. NOW, there is a family that came from Ireland aboard the Robert Foulton Ship in 1820 and arrived in America at Charleston, South Carolina. There is a Hugh, Elenor and children, John, Robert and William. The year of birth for Hugh, Elenor, and their first born John, matches with census records birth years. Also, in the census records, the last two Taylor children of this family were born in South Carolina in the years after they arrive. The name "Hugh" also works perfectly because all of my husbands Taylor ancestors were given the name Hugh. What doesn't work is the two other boys on the immigrant list - Robert & William. However, on all the census records there is a 10 year gap between the first son John and the next sibling. If you put all of these children together, then "Hugh" and Elenor had children every 2 years which would mean something happened to these two boys. So, I have tried numerous online things to try and verify that this is the family I am looking for, or more specifically, that my husband's 4th great grandfather is named "Hugh". He is just known as "Unknown Taylor" for now. I don't have Elenors maiden name. I can't find them in any S.Carolina census or other record. I can't find land records for them in Alabama. I have searched their children's death records that might list the name of the father, but can find none. I have looked in Irish and Scottish records. I have guessed what elenor's maiden name might be. "Murphy" was a guess because it is a name used in this line. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can confirm that this family on the Robert Foulton is or is not my husban'd ancestor? Thanks for any ideas...

Find a board about a specific topic