Search for content in message boards

has certificate of arrival -- but not on manifest

Replies: 8

Re: has certificate of arrival -- but not on manifest

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 9:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Levitt Feigin Fagin
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your response. You did correctly identify the arrival record of my great-grandfather, Morris "Mordche" Feigin. (It remains unclear to me why on the manifest he declared himself "single" and made no mention he was joining a wife in the U.S.)

"Fruma Libe" -- which is how it's usually spelled -- was a woman's name among eastern European Jews, if a quite uncommon one. If you google the name, you'll find a number of examples.

I've successfully identified the arrival records of all my relatives, except this great-grandmother. I'm attaching her certificate of arrival from her naturalization petition, for use by you and other researchers. My presumption is that she provided her arrival name -- "Froma Liba Levitt" -- to the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which was supposed to produce the certificate after checking the ship's manifest (or a microfilm copy of it) and confirming that someone with that name arrived on the given ship on the given day.

By the way, I also can't find "Froma Liba Levitt" -- or any name resembling it -- on the ship's departure manifest from Hamburg, where my great-grandmother supposedly boarded the ship.

So once again, can someone explain what's going on here?

Steve
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
stevenfagin 25 Apr 2013 8:04PM GMT 
T_Pein 28 Apr 2013 2:18PM GMT 
stevenfagin 28 Apr 2013 3:34PM GMT 
T_Pein 29 Apr 2013 6:37AM GMT 
stevenfagin 29 Apr 2013 8:07PM GMT 
LostQuays 2 May 2013 5:27PM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 2 May 2013 9:34PM GMT 
stevenfagin 3 May 2013 8:06AM GMT 
stevenfagin 3 May 2013 8:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions