Search for content in message boards

has certificate of arrival -- but not on manifest

Replies: 8

has certificate of arrival -- but not on manifest

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 2:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Levitt Feigin Fagin
I just obtained a copy of my great grandmother's naturalization petition from the National Archives. The record includes her certificate of arrival, with the following details:

No. A3 633 704
Name: Froma Liba Levitt
Port of Entry: New York, NY
Date: June 24, 1909
Manner of Entry: S.S. President Grant
Issued: May 15, 1951

Additionally, the naturalization petition reports her birth date as February 15, 1885 and birthplace as Minsk, Russia. Her married name was Fannie (sometimes spelled Fanny) Fagin (sometimes Feigin). According to the petition, she married my great grandfather in Minsk a month before she came to the U.S. -- though he arrived separately after her, in 1910.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate anyone with a name even close to "Froma Liba Levitt" on the manifest of the ship she supposedly arrived on. I went through the manifest screen by screen on Ancestry.com. I also used Jewishgen's "Accessing Ellis Island Manifests in One Step" tool to go through the original microfilm located on the Ellis Island website. There don't appear to be any pages missing -- they are sequentially numbered from 1 to 42.

Additionally, using search functions on the Ancestry website and on the Jewishgen website (which searches the Ellis Island website), I have been unable to locate anyone with a name like "Froma Liba Levitt" arriving on any ship at any time.

Can anyone explain what could be going on here?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
stevenfagin 25 Apr 2013 8:04PM GMT 
T_Pein 28 Apr 2013 2:18PM GMT 
stevenfagin 28 Apr 2013 3:34PM GMT 
T_Pein 29 Apr 2013 6:37AM GMT 
stevenfagin 29 Apr 2013 8:07PM GMT 
LostQuays 2 May 2013 5:27PM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 2 May 2013 9:34PM GMT 
stevenfagin 3 May 2013 8:06AM GMT 
stevenfagin 3 May 2013 8:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic