Search for content in message boards

Immigration mystery (Certificate of Arrival doesn't match name)

Replies: 7

Re: Immigration mystery (Certificate of Arrival doesn't match name)

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 7:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Robert, thanks very much for your helpful response. Yes, the family name is in Russian records (from Podolia and Bessarabia) as Schmidt.

It's interesting that an immigrant could "share" a passport ... how did this work? Would someone else in "the old country" obtain a passport and sell it to an emigrant who couldn't get proper documentation himself? Is there any possibility that the fraud could have occurred at the time of naturalization in the 1920s — i.e., Louis Smith no longer had the information on his arrival, so he claimed a false identity?

Since you seem knowledgable about the process, another question: was the name of the "friend" to whom the immigrant was traveling part of the original passport, or did the immigrant just provide that information orally? I'm wondering if the "Dr. Eisig Fischer" listed on the manifest was really my ancestor's uncle, or rather the uncle of whoever might have sold/loaned him the passport.

Adam
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
agoodheart2 7 Aug 2013 12:49PM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 8 Aug 2013 12:25AM GMT 
agoodheart2 8 Aug 2013 12:48AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 9 Aug 2013 11:23AM GMT 
agoodheart2 9 Aug 2013 1:35PM GMT 
Robert Jerin 10 Aug 2013 12:35AM GMT 
agoodheart2 28 Aug 2013 1:41PM GMT 
Robert Jerin 29 Aug 2013 11:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions