Search for content in message boards

Certificate of Arrival name change? Help with manifest!

Replies: 3

Certificate of Arrival name change? Help with manifest!

Posted: 7 Oct 2013 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Oct 2013 9:18PM GMT
Hi,

So I have been stuck trying to figure out information on my great grandfather's immigration records, and would be grateful for some assistance.

I was always told that my great grandfather, Jacob Berkowitz, came to America via Ellis Island before 1910. However I have never been able to find his name on a passenger manifest.

I recently received his naturalization record from USCIS. It clearly indicated that he arrived on August 21, 1906 (see attached). However when one goes to the manifest on Ancestry.com, there is no Jacob Berkowitz. USCIS also sent Certificate of Arrival, and a strange document.

This document simply says Elek Josipovics, and 8-21-1906. However Elek is the same age as Jacob. Now is when things get strange. If you search for Elek Josipovics on Ancestry.com, there is no results. HOWEVER if you search for Elek Josipovics through Ellis Island's website, you do get a hit for manifest. For some reason (I have no idea why) this specific page is not indexed on Ancestry.com, but you can get to it via a link (http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NYT715_755-0040_2) Elek is on line 10.

I would like to try and figure out if Elek is Jacob. I have no knowledge that he ever changed his name, and cannot see the resemblance between Elek Josipovics and Jacob Berkowitz. What is more bizarre is there are 3 other members of the Josipovics family that come over. To the best of my knowledge he had no family in America.I have never heard of these people, and have doubts that they are members of my family. I can find NO other census or immigration records for the other people who traveled with Elek

If someone has any information on name-changes that would probably be very helpful. Furthermore if someone is able to read column 16 on the Manifest, that probably would help also.

Thanks in advance for ANY help you can give!
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
spencer_d_bro... 8 Oct 2013 3:18AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 9 Oct 2013 12:10AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 9 Oct 2013 12:39AM GMT 
spencer_d_bro... 9 Oct 2013 1:06AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions