Search for content in message boards

William Briggs. Born 1906. Is reported to have emigrated to Australia sometime after1911

Replies: 3

Re: William Briggs. Born 1906. Is reported to have emigrated to Australia sometime after1911

Posted: 15 Jun 2014 5:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Briggs
Hi Fiona

I was surprised to receive a reply so soon. Thank you!

William Briggs was born 4 March 1906. I have a copy of his birth certificate

In the 1911 census the family were living in Wolstanton Staffordshire

In September 1911 my grandfather Frederick died and then it was sometime after this that the family moved to Manchester

Unfortunately my father knew very little about his brothers as he was sent to Ireland After many years I have located my Irish relatives and my cousin remembers her aunts talking about Albert, my father who had stowed away on board a ship to England He was about 15 years old then and of course was of working age.

In those days children were not told anything about the family and as my grandmother had to work then so did my father

I was 3 years old when were bombed out of our home in Manchester and my father was called up for military service Shortly after my sister then 6 years old died of Diptheria. My mother was taken into hospital the day after the funeral as she was suspected to be a carrier and you may know that it was a very serious illness

Then my paternal grandmother Florence died

I tell you all this in order for you to understand that in those days they just had to live for the day

It must have been so hard to carry on living in some cases All I can remember was my Dad saying that William had emigrated and went to Australia to work on a ranch

I have a photo of a soldier who I thought was my fathers' youngest brother Frederick but his daughters have confirmed that not to be so

I sent the photo to Kew and they identified the cap badge as that of the Royal Army Medical Corps

There is a faint date pencilled on the back of the photo 1936 I am not sure if that is the date it was taken but somehow I think it is

I tried the M.O.D to ask about his service records but at first they said that as I had no date of death and I had no proof that I was next of kin they were unable to help

I may or may not be the next of kin. I really hope in some way that I am not and that I have some cousins who may be glad to know me

I have tried the Red Cross without any luck

After putting a message in the Manchester Evening New and posting the photo I was contacted by a gentleman who told me that his father was in the R.A.M.C in Manchester and that he had some photos. He thought one of the soldiers looked very like my uncle William

He very kindly gave me copies of these which I will post

That is about all I can think of except to say thank you again for your interest and that should I finally find some info I will be eternally grateful

I feel I owe it to my lovely Dad and as I am in my late seventies I am afraid it will be one labour of love that I cannot fulfil

Thanks once again

Florence

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Amelia1910 14 Jun 2014 8:11PM GMT 
Fiona_Bathgat... 14 Jun 2014 9:51PM GMT 
Amelia1910 15 Jun 2014 11:11AM GMT 
Amelia1910 6 Jul 2014 3:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions