Search for content in message boards

J. C. Jensen family from Hjørring, emigrated 1898

Replies: 4

J. C. Jensen family from Hjørring, emigrated 1898

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 8:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jensen
Hello!

My great-great grandfather Jens Christian Jensen (1869-1957) registered for emigration from Denmark on 11 May 1898, as I've discovered from the Danish Demographic Database online. The record there indicates that he was traveling "Indirekte," meaning he took a feeder ship to another European port before making the trip across the Atlantic. He was traveling with his wife Petrine Marie, and four sons Edward, George, John, and Christian, and the destination listed was Deloraine, Manitoba. Upon arrival the family must have immediately made their way south to Bottineau County, North Dakota, where Jens filed his first papers requesting naturalization on 1 Jul 1898.

His son Edward was my great-grandfather. In an interview on file at the ND State Historical Society, Ed tells a story about their trans-Atlantic travel; apparently they all became badly ill (he said he thought it was measles or smallpox) and had to be quarantined for three weeks on "an island."

With all that background information in mind, I'm trying to fill in a few missing pieces. First, what was their itinerary after leaving Denmark on the feeder ship? From which port did they actually leave Europe, and what ship did they take? Where was this quarantine island located? When and where did they arrive in Canada?

I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction for further research on all this; I'd love to be able to get the full story!

Thanks,
Adam
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jazzslider 19 Feb 2011 3:13PM GMT 
Melstrup 4 Sep 2011 12:37PM GMT 
jazzslider 6 Sep 2011 8:30PM GMT 
zackdoxtater 30 May 2012 3:40PM GMT 
falsterden 7 Aug 2013 12:44AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic