Search for content in message boards

Henriksen family - Hjerm area, Denmark

Replies: 1

Henriksen family - Hjerm area, Denmark

Posted: 29 Jan 2014 6:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello:

I am looking for any possible help/suggestions/information on my great-grandfather's family who came from Denmark,

The Hjerm Western Church kindly provided me some details:

Great-grandfather: Frederick Henriksen - Frithjof Valdemar Georg Henriksen Voss
Born - 18 Jan, 1888 in Hjerm

Parents:
Jens Bredahl Henriksen Voss

Mother: Kristine (Christine) Pederson
Birth 6 Oct 1848 in DeTortorp, Skåne, Sweden
Death 5 Nov 1929 in Denmark
-----

Re: Jens Bredal - the church had no birth or any information.

A google search turned up an 1860 census in which a Jens Bredahl Henriksen Voss, age 3, was living in Humlum as a foster child with Jens Bredahl Knudsen, 73, born in Venø and his wife, Christiane Christiansdatter, 62, born in Vejrum.

I'm working on a couple of assumptions - they took in an orphan at a late age and gave him the husband's first name with his real last name.

Or, he is the son of one of their children and they took him in after both parents died.

A search on familysearch.org has turned up only one child of the couple who died at birth. A search at the Danish census site turns up the 1860 info and an 1850 listing of the couple alone. No previous information - re: marriages, births, living locations.

Any suggestions on how to proceed, what information might be available? Would there be records on a foster care situation at the time? Would Voss have been the actual last name? Maybe a father named Henrik Voss?

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Nancy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nkearney12 29 Jan 2014 1:48PM GMT 
falsterden 5 Mar 2014 11:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic