Search for content in message boards

Where to look for Marriage Records for Italian Immigrants arriving through Ellis Island

Replies: 11

Where to look for Marriage Records for Italian Immigrants arriving through Ellis Island

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 10:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Aug 2012 6:23PM GMT
Surnames: La Fazia, LaFazia, Lafazia, Varriano
Where would Italian immigrants get married upon arrival? Here's the scenario:

Giovanni LaFazia (La Fazia, Lafazia) lives in Seattle, WA. His sister-in-law, Carolina Varriano-LaFazia, and nephew, Giuseppe (Joseph) LaFazia, arrive at Ellis Island in June of 1908. Giovanni (John) is the only person Carolina knows in the U.S. Carolina's husband died in 1900 in Italy. Tradition dictates that she marry her husband's oldest single brother (that's why she immigrated - John is her husband's oldest single brother). Both are Roman Catholic. Their first child is born in April of 1909 (in Seattle, WA - already searched there for a marriage cert), so the marriage would have taken place between June and July of 1908.

I couldn't find any naturalization forms for Carolina or Giovanni (John). Giuseppe (Joseph) was never naturalized either; he applied four times, but was rejected every time. As far as I know, none of them became U.S. citizens.

I didn't know about any of that detention stuff you mentioned. What was a Board of Inquiry? What sort of public charge would they have been held on?

I've talked to the King County Archives, and they have no record of a marriage for John and Caroline; the man I talked to said they were either married in another county/place, or the person in charge of submitting the record to the county never did submit it. The 1910 Census has them living in Seattle, and there is an address on their first child's birth certificate (2618 East Aloha St.)

Does John meet her at Ellis Island, and they marry before the long trek back to Seattle? (If so, where is the most likely church they would get married?)

Or, do they wait until they reach Seattle to be married?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Joseph La Faz... 27 Aug 2012 4:19AM GMT 
mi2early 27 Aug 2012 1:35PM GMT 
Joseph La Faz... 27 Aug 2012 8:48PM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 29 Aug 2012 11:09PM GMT 
Robert Jerin 29 Aug 2012 11:35PM GMT 
Joseph La Faz... 30 Aug 2012 12:23AM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 30 Aug 2012 12:40AM GMT 
Joseph La Faz... 30 Aug 2012 1:01AM GMT 
JoelWeintraub 30 Aug 2012 1:05AM GMT 
Joseph La Faz... 30 Aug 2012 1:08AM GMT 
per page