Search for content in message boards

Passport Documents of Hungarian Grandmother Maria (PETRAS) Kaltz

Replies: 15

Passport Documents of Hungarian Grandmother Maria (PETRAS) Kaltz

Posted: 30 Aug 2013 10:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BURCSA, BURGESS, PETRAS, KALTZ
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask or not. . .but my grandmother REALLY wants to see her mother's passport. She saw it once, when she was younger, and has in recent years been saying how she would just love to see it again--that it would mean so much.

Her mother, Maria (Marie, Mary) PETRAS (born 1912) in Hungary, in an area that I think was on the border of the carpathean mountains, near slovakia. She spoke Magyar, but had to learn it in order to move back to the United States to meet her father (who spoke Hungarian) before that she spoke Slovak as a first language (or some version of it). Here's a little background knowledge:

Maria's mother (Maria BURCSA or BURGESS--americanized version) came to US to marry Janos (John) PETRAS. She ended up not liking it here (Detroit area, Michigan) and left her husband Janos in order to move back to Hungary. After moving back to Hungary she realized that she was pregnant. She did not tell Janos who was back in Michigan. She had her child (Maria PETRAS) and raised her until the age of 6 or so. Then, Maria BURCSA died. Janos' family in Hungary (same area) found out of the child Maria, and took her in. Maria lived with her uncle and cousins for a few years before leaving for Michigan to meet her father who had only recently found out about her. She was 8-9 years old when she traveled to the USA in 1920 or 1921.

Being that her father was nationalized, she gained her citizenship through him. Therefore, I do not know if she applied for a Hungarian passport, or an American passport. Does anyone know how I would go about finding this out? I have tried searching the national archives, but haven't found anything really. It's really important to my grandmother that she gets to see this document. I'm trying so hard to make this happen for her. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and I do not believe Maria Petras ever traveled outside of the US after her immigration. Therefore I have reason to believe she would have applied for a passport within the two years prior to her departure in 1920/21.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
arahkola80 31 Aug 2013 4:11AM GMT 
ACMCVEY 2 Sep 2013 1:27AM GMT 
arahkola80 2 Sep 2013 2:32AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 6 Sep 2013 3:01AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 6 Sep 2013 3:07AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 6 Sep 2013 3:05AM GMT 
arahkola80 6 Sep 2013 3:07AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 6 Sep 2013 3:19AM GMT 
arahkola80 6 Sep 2013 3:34AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 6 Sep 2013 10:33AM GMT 
per page