Search for content in message boards

? on Certificate of Arrival (Form 145) & accuracy of info

Replies: 1

? on Certificate of Arrival (Form 145) & accuracy of info

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 11:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SAWCZYSZYN
I'm looking at naturalization paperwork for George SAWCZYSZYN, and the Certificate of Arrival (Form 145) within the packet has the name Jan BURYAK. The names aren't even close, so I can't figure this out. (If someone were going to change their name from BURYAK after arriving, I doubt they'd choose SAWCZYSZYN! :) The ship and arrival date on Jan BURYAK's Form 145 match what George states on his paperwork though.

Further confusing me, I can't find George SAWCZYSZYN on the manifest he should appear on. According to his naturalization papers, he arrived at New York from Bremen, Germany on the ship Neckar on 2 Feb 1910. I've searched the manifest for this vessel and can't find any SAWCZYSZYN, let alone a George SAWCZYSZYN.

This isn't the first time I've come across someone whose naturalization papers give a ship name/arrival date and I can't find them on the manifest, or the ship and arrival dates don't match (off by over a month).

How strict were immigration officials about the accuracy of this info? Could an immigrant without a Form 145 just give an approximate date of arrival and the Bureau of Naturalization would find the closest arrival and use someone else's Form 145?

Thanks for reading!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BoothTemple 7 Aug 2012 5:26PM GMT 
BoothTemple 7 Aug 2012 5:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions