Search for content in message boards

Sarah Jane Griffith, D/O Sir Richard John Griffith and Maria Jane Waldie DISOWNED!

Replies: 0

Sarah Jane Griffith, D/O Sir Richard John Griffith and Maria Jane Waldie DISOWNED!

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Griffith Waldie Cooke Unknown
She was born shortly after the Griffith Waldie marriage 1813. Bored with boarding school she eloped with one of the estate gardeners, Robert Cooke. They fled Ireland and came to Canada, 1825ish, settling in Brockville in Eastern Ontario, then Upper Canada. Robert and Jane Cooke had 5 children, including my great grandmother, on record in the Anglican church but Robert died while they were young, about 1840. Jane's letters to her wealthy parents were ignored and she had no choice but to farm the children out to Robert's relatives in the area and she left Brockville forever with an American man, married him and had a second family somewhere in the USA, surname unknown! One of the boys from that second marriage did contact his Cooke half brothers in Lansdowne near Brockville and he did go to Ireland to try and search his Griffith roots but he met with no success. His surname was never recorded so I am at a loss, hoping somebody reads this and identifies with the story! Jane Griffith Cooke ______?? never had contact with her children of the first marriage again. I find that sad as she would have been proud of them in their success.
SIR Richard was very successful at expunging poor Jane from family records but somewhere there might be a church baptismal record?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions