Search for content in message boards

What is it called when...

Replies: 9

Re: What is it called when...

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 3:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
"It's possible, but the reality is a lot of families split up when husband walked away to go to "America". It's very possible he came thinking he left the family because she refused to go and then she had a change of mind. Happened alot."

That would only make sense if the child that the wife arrived in the US with was older than 5 years. Otherwise, if the childless husband and wife "split up" in 1907 and he never returned to Italy, who is the father of the child that the wife arrives with 5 years later? It seems unlikely that the husband left for America thinking the marriage was "over" and so reported that he was single - but then 5 years later his wife and some child that couldn't have been his because it's only a year old and he hasn't seen his wife in 5 years show up and he accepts them both, raising a child that isn't his.

It was actually not uncommon during this period for Italians to travel back and forth to Italy, sometimes to find a wife. So this seems like the more likely scenario. My 2nd great grandfather made several trips back to Italy, each time returning to America single except for the last trip - his new wife followed him a few months later and I could confirm that they married in Italy because she stated on the passenger list that she had never been to America before. I know we think of the voyage to America as a once-in-a-lifetime trip but by this point in history it was not always like that anymore.

To the OP: I don't know if there are surviving records of arrivals in Italy - if there are, they are not on Ancestry.com. Likewise for outgoing US records. What I would look for now is their marriage record in Italy.

You should also look for the husband's second passenger list, returning to the US in what sounds like would have been 1911 or 1912.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PRODUCEGUY121... 28 Jun 2013 8:51PM GMT 
pineview8850 29 Jun 2013 1:59AM GMT 
RobinBMc 6 Aug 2013 9:32AM GMT 
PRODUCEGUY121... 6 Aug 2013 5:01PM GMT 
LostQuays 29 Jun 2013 10:07PM GMT 
LostQuays 29 Jun 2013 10:14PM GMT 
PRODUCEGUY121... 30 Jun 2013 2:02AM GMT 
LostQuays 30 Jun 2013 3:20AM GMT 
PRODUCEGUY121... 30 Jun 2013 4:33AM GMT 
DonnaMilano 30 Jul 2013 5:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions