Depending on which document you look at, my great-grandfather was born in either Zimperrope, Russia; Cuppond, Toury, Russia; or Pinsk, Russia (the latter, plus other information I have suggest Belarus). Please help me review the disparate information I have uncovered and clarify which locations I should be researching in more detail.
In the search, I have so far uncovered information from five relevant documents that tie to three different relavent people, and list numerous different places in Russia (mostly in the area of Belarus, as far as I can tell, but with some possible connections to Lithuania or Ukraine sprinkled in).
The three key people (American versions of names) are:
Hyman Pruce (my great-grandfather)
Rose Pruce (my great-grandmother)
Doris Pruce (their daughter)
The key documents in Hyman's name are:
(1) Petition for Naturalization
(2) World War I Draft Registration Card
(3) World War II Draft Registration Card
(4) Passenger Manifest from the SS George Washington (under the name Chaim Pruss)
and I also have, in both Rose and Doris' names (Under the names Ruchel Pruss and Dina Pruss)
(5) Passenger Manifest from the Fridrich Der Grosse
Plus I have miscellaneous US Census records that I don't trust anywhere near as much as the above
Between these five documents I have numerous incongruities in dates and places that I'm trying to clarify.
Hyman Pruce (Chaim Pruss) was born either:
- 10/25/1888 in Zimperrope, Russia (1)
- 9/8/1888 in Cuppond, Toury, Russia (2)
- 9/25/1888 in Russia (3)
- ~1888 in Pinsk (4)
- ~1888 in Russia, per the census
Rose Pruce (Ruchel Pruss - probably an inaccurate transliteration of her Hebrew name Rachaela, per oral history) was born either:
- ~1885 in Lagintin/Logischin/Logisthien [depending on how you read it] (5)
- ~1881 in Minsk, Russia (1)
- ~1885 in Russia, per the census
Doris Pruce (Dina Pruss, maiden name *might* have been Yuzuk per oral history, but I'm not sure) was born either:
- 1/10 in Lithuania (1)
- ~1912 in Lagintin/Logischin/Logisthien [depending on how you read it] (5)
- ~1911 in Russia per the census
Hyman Pruce married Rose Pruce
- 10/12 1908 in Minsk, Russia (1)
My biggest question is about Hyman's birthplace - should I be researching "Zimperrope", "Cuppond", something else? Are those both places that existed in the late 1880s? Could they refer to the same place, in different ways?
Beyond that, anything else that could be gleaned from these records that I haven't already deduced regarding any of my three relatives old-world history would be wonderful.
Thank you so much for the help!