Search for content in message boards

"Scots Banished to the American Plantations (1650-1775)"

Replies: 4

"Scots Banished to the American Plantations (1650-1775)"

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 12:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Sep 2009 7:02AM GMT
i was recently leafing through a book titled "Scots Banished to the American Plantations (1650-1775)"

i wrote down most of the women and their crimes that i came across...i had a list of about 71 of them (again, i didn't write down all of them, most of them though)...

out of the 71 women i do have, 54 were child murderers...and in the year of 1749 there were 6 murders by women, 5 of them against children...

while this isn't something to be happy about, the research i have done states that in most of these case (the 54 in particular) that there was major strife sweeping scotland during many of these years (there were cases of famine conditions, religious and economical issues, etc)...and in times of famine for instance, rather than watch their child starve to death the woman would put the child out of misery....(of course i know this doesn't explain every single case, but it does cover some of them).

my question is: what was going on in 1749? for 5 out of 6 murders that were commited by women to have been against children, there had to be something really bad to happen, and yet i have had trouble figuring it out myself...i haven't spent so very long researching it, and that may be my problem...perhaps, i've found the info and not really known what i was looking at...

but i was just wondering what in the world would have or could have happened to make so many women just loose it....
it doesn't have anything to do with any direct genealogy that i've been doing, i got sidetracked, and became interested in finding an answer if there is one...

thank you to anyone that can offer any help.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
melanievisell... 29 Sep 2009 6:19PM GMT 
GordonPertJoh... 30 Sep 2009 10:21AM GMT 
melanievisell... 10 Oct 2009 6:35AM GMT 
Daniel H. Bai... 25 Apr 2011 2:43PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 5 May 2011 6:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic