Search for content in message boards

Scottish or English Self-identification Young Family

Replies: 2

Scottish or English Self-identification Young Family

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 2:39PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Young
I have a g-g grandfather who was believed to be born in Scotland, Aberdeen specifically. This is due to family lore and a watch inscribed with his name, the city and the date 1851. He died in 1875. Problem is, the few records which identify him mostly refer to England rather than Scotland. 1. 1870 census, his country of birth is England. 2. Naturalization record, nationality is English. 3. When his child was placed in an orphanage he is described as English. Then his eldest son married and records his father as Scottish. (The son was 12 when his father died.) He also is described as Scottish on a census where the nationality of a person's parents is asked for. I can't find other records, let alone others which record his national origin.
My question is this: what is the likelihood that a Scotsman would describe himself as English or born in England. Scots I know are very proud of being Scot, and often reject British. I can't imagine them calling themselves English.
Does anyone have any insights on this? Thanks in advance.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mpav192 16 Oct 2013 8:39PM GMT 
Fiona_Bathgat... 16 Oct 2013 8:44PM GMT 
mpav192 16 Oct 2013 9:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions