Search for content in message boards

GRANTS of Glen Moriston, Inverness Scotland to NY to Glengarry Ontario

Replies: 55

Re: GRANTS of Glen Moriston, Inverness Scotland to NY to Glengarry Ontario

Posted: 3 Jul 2014 6:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jul 2014 7:16AM GMT
Surnames: Grant , McDonell , McIntyre , Fraser , McLennan
Hi Cousin Cathy . J. Young from Cornwall Ont. here . I think we have talked before . I am surprised that no one replied specifically to your query , so I will try to connect some dots .
The Alexander Alex Grant you mentioned [Lot 8 Con 4] is the eldest Natural son of John Duldreggan Grant who settled on Lots 25 & 26 South Side of South Branch of the Raisin River , on north east corner of intersection of Cashion Glen Side Road and Street Road . These were the western lots given out in Charlottenburg Glengarry on McNiff's Map 1786 , as a two mile wide strip of land reserved as an Indian Reservation [known still as the Indian Lands] was west of him to the eastern Boundary Road of Cornwall Township Stormont County . The Grants Corner's you mention is at this western Boundary Road Cornwall Twp .
John Duldreggan Grant never settled in the USA . He remained in Scotland until after the Rev War was over . His sister Isabella Duldreggan Grant was married to Simon Fraser Sr. who died in Albany NY in 1779 while prisoner of Americans . Isabella settled with her children [including Simon Fraser Jr. the Explorer] at St. Andrews West Ont . [north of Cornwall] .
John Duldreggan Grant , Alexander Alex Grant , and several other half siblings , sailed from Scot. on the Cochran 1785 . The ship was diverted to Philadelphia [where they over wintered] and they walked to Glengarry spring 1786 [the same year this John Duldreggan married his last wife Mary McIntyre in Montreal --- he had 8 children with her --- the last being Alpin Grant born 1802 the year John Duldreggan Grant died age 65 .
Alexander Alex Grant and his half brother Honourable Alexander Grant received Lot 26 from their father in his Will , and Alexander Alex bought out his brother's share .
Alexander Alex Grant married Ann / Nancy McDonell [daughter of Donald McDonell KRRNY, killed 1777 at Fort Stanwix NY] , she received land grant as daughter of UEL so her family also UE .
Alexander Alex Grant b. 1756 d. 1851 the year he and wife appear in 1851 Census [age 95] . Sometime in those 95 years he acquired the Lot 8 Con 4 Indian Lands [also Street Road] which in his Will he leaves to his eldest son Angus Grant b. 1791 d. 1877 who then added Lots 7 , 9 , 10 , to form a nice little parcel .
To tie this into the original posting on those Kingsborough Patent Grant members .
The Peter Grant at top of first posting , is also my Ancestor . He was also KRRNY and settled on Lot 10 Front Charlottenburg which he shared with Kenneth McDonell KRRNY married to Jenny Grant .
This Peter Grant had son Duncan Grant KRRNY who received part Lot 20 South Branch Road , on McNiff's Map 1786 . Duncan Grant married Henrietta Henny McLennan {daughter of John McLeland / McLennan KRRNY who received part Lot 23 Street Road directly east of John Duldreggan Grant] .
This Duncan and Henny Grant oldest daughter Isabella Grant b. 1794 married the afore mentioned Angus Grant of Lots 7, 8, 9, 10 Con 4 Indian Lands .

I also have a comment on DNA genealogy . I think you would do as well consulting a Palmist . Research and sharing works . Cheers J.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
1_barbndon 7 Aug 2011 4:09AM GMT 
young1451 3 Jul 2014 12:50PM GMT 
evelyngoulet 6 Dec 2011 10:18PM GMT 
sintaa98 20 Oct 2013 1:02AM GMT 
shooter45acp 7 Jul 2010 10:15PM GMT 
UllaGrant 22 Sep 2010 3:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic