Search for content in message boards

Reconstructing The Pearl passenger list and Scottish Settlers on Sir Johnson's Land

Replies: 22

Re: Reconstructing The Pearl passenger list and Scottish Settlers on Sir Johnson's Land

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 8:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have tried for years to tie my own Glenurquhart-Glenmoriston Mac/McDonalds to those who were on the Pearl in 1773.
In Sept 1775 they left from Ft William on the Ship Glasgow and originally intended to follow the same path and itinerary as those McDonalds’/McDonnells’ from the Ship Pearl Voyage in 1773 to Upstate NY.
Since the family has no known ties to any early Mc/Mac Donald/Donnell families in Nova Scotia or North Carolina, my natural thought process would assume they had family ties to those who had already gone before them to the Mohawk Valley area.

Though the past articles on my family identified them as being “Glencoe” MacDonald’s, My own DNA and research says otherwise. The John McDonald identified below was my 4th G-GF. Son Ewen/Evan/Hugh [Eoghan Mor] my 3rd G-GF. All of John McDonald’s 8 children were born in Glenurquhart prior to the family departing in Sept 1775. john was about 52 when he left Glenurquhart.
As a deacon of the Presbterian Church, John's 3rd son James [Bunloit abt 1754] moved from Pictou to Ontario abt 1823 and is buried in Brucefield, Ross, ONT with his wife Mary Forbes. If anyone has any information on family ties, please contact me. Ben MacDonald, Sun City AZ macdonab@cox.net

September 30, 1775
Edinburgh Evening Courant
Extract of a letter from Fort William, Sept. 4.
“We have no news in this country; only yesterday sailed, the ship Jupiter, from Dunstaffuage Bay with about 200 emigrants on board, for North Carolina, mostly from the country of Appin in Argyleshire. Though formerly among the first to take up arms against the reigning family, they now declare their readiness to support government in case they find it necessary on their arrival in America.— This day likewise will sail the ship Glasgow, with emigrants from the port of Fort-William, bound for New York.”

The Ship Glasgow sailed from Fort William Harbour in Sept 1775, retracing the voyage of the Ship Pearl on Sept 1773. Its intended destination was NY Harbour where the passengers on the Ship Glasgow intended to disembark and travel overland to Upstate NY where the Scots from 1773 had already settled. There is a letter from the Fort William Customs people identifying NY as the ships port destination.

As they approached the coast of North America, the Jupiter, Glasgow, and Glasgow Packet part ways and sail for their intended ports. Bad weather forced the Jupiter to port at Wilmington DE and the Glasgow Packet is boarded in Boston by the British. The passengers on the Glasgow Packet were sent on to Halifax where they became part of the 84th Regiment.

Oct 31, 1775 - It is the beginning of the American War. The Ship “Glasgow” arrives off New York City harbour, is boarded and turned away by the ship HMS Asia under the command of Captain George Vandeput. After sitting in the harbour for 30 days, the ships passengers agree to service with the promise of land after the ‘skirmish’. All of the ship Glasgow’s passengers are ‘impressed’ and sent to Halifax on board HMS Asia where they were to be sent on to Fort Edward, Windsor, NS for duty (eventually) as part of the 84th Royal Highland Emigrant Regiment.

In early 1784, a settlement of disbanded soldiers was made further up the East River in Pictou County. They came to Pictou at the close of the American War. They were, originally, from the Highlands of Scotland.
http://www.canadiangenealogy.net/novascotia/pictou_county/ea...
The first who came was James Fraser, Big James, who in company with Donald McKay, elder, settled on the interval a little below where St. Paul's Church now stands. He and fifteen others took up a tract of over three thousand acres, extending up to Samuel Cameron's on the east side of the river, and to James Fraser's, Culloden, on the west side. The names of these first settlers were: Donald Cameron, his brothers Samuel and Finlay, Alexander Cameron, Robert Clark, Peter Grant, first elder in the settlement, James McDonald, Hugh McDonald on the east side of the river. James Fraser, Duncan McDonald, John McDonald, brother of James, John Chisholm, drowned at the Narrows with Finlay Cameron, John McDonald, 2d, John Chisholm, Jr.

John McDonald was born at Glen Urquhart and belonged to the Glencoe McDonalds. At the time of the Glencoe Massacre, 1692, one of the McDonalds fled to Glen Urquhart and settled there. John McDonald was a grandson or great grandson of that man. He was about eight years in the Royal Highland Emigrant Regiment, and three of his sons fought with him in the Revolutionary War on the Loyalists' side. [John's 2nd son Alexander was drowned at Sea in Nov 1777.]
John was married twice. By his first wife he had Duncan, Alexander, Mary and Christy. By his second wife, Margaret Grant, he had James, Ewen, Ann and Ellen.
Ann was married to Thomas Fraser, Basin.
Ellen was married to James Robertson. The well known Deacon Robertson, Churchville, was their son.
Duncan, eldest son of John McDonald, was married to Catherine Fraser.
James, their third son, was born about 1759. He was a Corporal in the 84th regiment. He married about 1782, Mary Forbes, by whom he had Alexander, Edward and other sons. He left East River about 1834, and settled in Upper Canada where he died in 1857. He was an elder under Dr. McGregor and a very prominent man on the East River in his day. Alexander McDonald, his fifth son, settled near Bridgeville and was the father of Hon. James McDonald, Chief Justice of Nova Scotia. http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?id_nbr=7579
My 3rd G-GF, son Ewen [Evan/Eoghan or Hugh] married Jane Grant in 1794 in Pictou County N.S.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JoeCunningham... 11 Feb 2012 12:52PM GMT 
Benjamin_MacD... 27 Dec 2012 3:24PM GMT 
les_horn 7 Jul 2013 5:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions