Search for content in message boards

Uriah Wright, Loyalist to New Brunswick

Replies: 0

Uriah Wright, Loyalist to New Brunswick

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Apr 2011 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Peters
I'm looking to find information on Uriah Wright.

He arrived with Company 1 on the Two Sisters, with a wife and seven children. He was granted Lot 790 in Parr Town, and land in Bellisle. Wright's book claims that from there, he moved to Queen's County. I have read that he and his wife returned to New York eventually.

In his claim filed from Bellisle Bay on 18th Jan., 1787, Uriah stated that he was the son of Dennis Wright. He was from Norwalk, Fairfield Co., Conn., and left there fourteen years ago. Went to Dutchess County, N.Y.

I am guessing that one of his children was Nathaniel, who also arrived on the Two Sisters with Company One, and was a single man. Both Nathaniel and Uriah signed a petition, along with other Kingston Inhabitants, seeking means of maintenance for a clergyman in 1786. (Dan Johnston's newspaper vital stats)

I have noted that there were many Connecticut people living in Kingston at the time, as Uriah's neighbours. I wonder if there are any family connections? I also see that there were Peters families close by, who would be parents/sibblings to Uriah's wife, Elizabeth. I think that Elizabeth Peters MAY be a second marriage, but am still exploring that possibility.

I'm wondering if anyone could provide names of Uriah's children, or make any connections to other Wright loyalists who came to New Brunswick?

I'm wondering, for instance, if the Phoebe Wright who recieved land in Bellisle, is connected? Or the Elizabeth Wright, who recieved land on the Kennebecasis,is a relative? Solomon Wright was a Loyalist from Greenwich, Conn., and was probably a close relative to a William Wright (m. Susannah Hunt)

Any information, insights, or opinions would be most welcome.

Debby

Find a board about a specific topic