Search for content in message boards

BRCA1, MUTATED GENE, HIGH RISK FOR CANCER

Replies: 0

BRCA1, MUTATED GENE, HIGH RISK FOR CANCER

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Dec 2012 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Rotarius
Last year my 35 yr. old daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer, which turned out to be 917delTT BRCA1. BRCA 1 is a mutation of our gene. Nobody had breast & or ovary cancer in our family that we knew of. In searching my family line My father Lawrence Joseph Rotarius's grandmother had breast cancer & died from it. Both of my parents had passed. We did not know what side it was coming from. Recently, my cousin from my father's side Lawrence Joseph Rotarius was also diagnosed with BRCA1. So far I was diagnosed with it & my other 33 yr. old daughter, & my niece; Pam Fagan's daughter & my cousin who was my dad sister's daughter. Having BRCA1 does not mean you have cancer, but it gives you a 97% chance of getting breast or ovary for females & prostate or breast cancer in males. When you have a mutation as this, only half of your body defenses is working to keep you from getting cancer. My 35 yr.old daughter had a very unusual lump & was told it was from caffine by a P.A. ... 7 mos. later she was diagnosed with early stages of breast cancer & tested possitive for BRCA1. Then my other 33yr. old daughter tested possitive. My niece had a lump & had mammogram's & was told they thought she was O.K.. She decided to have a mastectomy & hysterectomy... doctors found precancerous tissue throughout her breasts. Our family has decided to take every precautionary surgerys that we can. In doing so...it drops the chances for cancer from 97% to 4%. If you are in our family line I HIGHLY RECCOMEND for you to see a genetic counselor! You will have to pay around $200.00.. for a saliva or blood test for proper diagnoses. Some doctors might say it is not necessary to be tested..DO NOT listen to them. Genetic counselors are the biggest help in this situation. When you have this mutation, it is a fifty fifty chance you have passed it on to your children. Please be tested & let each individual make their choice about this. It is a very emotional decision.SOme people out of fear choose not to be tested..just remember it's not fair to not warn them & let them make their own decision. It saved my daughter & nieces lives.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions