Search for content in message boards

Clovis The Riparian King Of Cologne

Replies: 16

Re: Clovis The Riparian King Of Cologne

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 9:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Here was something by a fellow named Jared Olar that would appear to solve the mystery:

"If I recall correctly (hopefully somebody here will refresh my memory and offer correction as needed), Depoin was the one who misinterpreted the Life of St. Goar's references to Frankish kings Clovis and his son Childebert, thus inventing the non-existent Clovis the Ripuarian and his son Childebert. Gregory of Tours does tell the stories of Sigebert the Lame and his parricide son Cloderic (whom Gregory identifies as kinsmen of Clovis the Merovingian), and also tells of Munderic and his attempt to establish himself as a Frankish king -- but Gregory, contrary to Wagner's statement, does not identify Munderic as a Merovingian. Gregory doesn't say anything at all about Munderic's parentage or ancestry, but says only that he "pretended to be of royal blood" -- that doesn't necessarily mean that Munderic asserted a descent from Merovech, since the house of Merovech was not the only Frankish royal dynasty prior to Clovis' ridding himself of his rival kings. Presumably it is in one of the later saints' lives that identifies Munderic as son of Cloderic."

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Soc/soc.genealogy.me...

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AFulsang 13 May 2007 11:05PM GMT 
jplalone 8 Aug 2007 7:41PM GMT 
AFulsang 8 Aug 2007 10:36PM GMT 
CDfamilyline 12 Feb 2011 4:20AM GMT 
jayswith 18 Feb 2011 3:23PM GMT 
Grady Loy 19 Feb 2011 3:46PM GMT 
Grady Loy 19 Feb 2011 4:02PM GMT 
Grady Loy 19 Feb 2011 4:37PM GMT 
AFulsang 19 Feb 2011 6:31PM GMT 
Grady Loy 20 Feb 2011 2:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions