Search for content in message boards

Leigh family of Egginton, Derbyshire and the Leigh family of Adlington

Replies: 6

Re: Leigh family of Egginton, Derbyshire and the Leigh family of Adlington

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 7:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Every, Leigh, Booth, Annesley, Vernon, Chaworth, Lathbury, Needham, Eyre, Dethick, Horton
Hi Jonathan

I'm a descendant of the Every's of Eggington, through Simon Frederick Every, son of Henry Every the 9th Baronet and I'm based in NZ.

In regards to the Leigh connection, various sources I've looked at all refer to the Leigh's of Egginton connecting back to Adlington but none of them have directly state how. Given the amount of documents in the A2A Every of Egginton records relating to the Leigh of Adlington I think it fairly safe to assume that this is the case, however, again the exact connection isn't clear.

The Visitation of Cheshire 1580 (Leigh of Adlington) 1580 gives,

Renold Leigh of Annesley (Notts) of whom the Leigh of Derbyshire decend, and records him as the son of Robert Leigh and Ellen Booth. Thomas is elder brother is stated as being 35yo in 2H6 (1424) so would have been born circa 1390

From records of the Annesley family Alice Annesley married first George Chaworth and was married secondly to Reginald Leigh, she was found to be the heiress of her father John in 18 H 6 (1440).

The visitation of Cheshire gave dates that looked odd, compared to the dates in for the Leigh of Adlington given in A2A. Sure enough, Omerods history of Cheshire gives the inquistion of Robert Leigh of Adlington, the father of Thomas and Reginald as 2H7, not 2H6 as stated in the visitation [1487 compared to 1424]

Omerods, gives the same parents for Reginald of Annesley, and states that he married Mary, dau of Thomas Vernon and had issue.

From the three different sources:

Visitation and Omerod, show a Reginald Leigh of Annesley as the son of Robert Leigh and Ellen Booth.

Visitation states Reginald is the ancestor of the Leigh's of Derbyshire

Omerod gives his wife as Mary Vernon, dau of Thomas.

A2A, shows Maria Legh widow of Reginald Legh late of Blakebroke living in 1508.

And Robert Leigh, who married Anne Lathbury as the son of Reginald Leigh of Blakebrook.

From these, it looks likely that Reginald Leigh, father of Robert Leigh of Egginton is the son of Robert Leigh of Adlington by Ellen Booth. Though given the ammount of Roberts in the Adlington line, and the references to Robert Leigh of Adlington senior in A2A it could be that he belongs one generation earlier and is the son of Robert Leigh and Isabella Stanly.

I'm going to keep an eye out for any more concrete primary sources for the connection. But in the mean time, I'm using the visitation of 1580, Omerods History of Cheshire vol 3 and the supporting A2A records showing the descent of Robert Leigh and Ellen Booth

The Egginton Leigh descent is fairly well supported via the A2A records, and the Baronetage of England.

Gen 1. Reginald Leigh = Mary Vernon, daughter of Thomas Vernon (is a widow in 1508)
Gen 2. Robert Leigh = Anne Lathbury, dau of Alured, and grand dau of John Lathbury of Egginton
Gen 3. William Leigh = Dorothy (who married secondly Richard Needham of Snitterton). [The Baronetage of England, states that Dorothy is the daughter of Thomas Eyre of Highlow]
Gen 4. Thomas Leigh = Anne, dau of William Dethick of Newhall
Gen 5. Henry Leigh = Cathine Horton of Catton (see my earlier post placing her as the daughter of Christopher Horton of Catton, by his second wife Marie/Mary Small
Gen 6. Anne Leigh = Simon Every

I'm a bit geographically challenged when it comes to getting to UK archives so all my research is based of Internet resources and books I have located online, if you want to review the sources I've been looking at:

Visitation - http://archive.org/stream/visitationofches00glov#page/150/mo... - page 151

Vol 5 of the Baronetage of England is on google books (page 51), if you search for Leigh, Dethick and Eyre.

Omerods vol 3 - http://archive.org/stream/historyofcountyp03orme#page/332/mo... page 333

If you're interested, I can send you a copy of the will of Christopher Horton of Catton, a copy of a book written by a cousin relating to all the descendants of the NZ Every clan up to the family reunion of 1980 and some other bits and pieces relating to attemptin to trace all the ancestors of Simon Frederick Every.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
falconbex 23 Aug 2008 4:25AM GMT 
jdgreg2 26 Nov 2008 3:22PM GMT 
wooltucker1 14 Sep 2010 1:35PM GMT 
falconbex 16 Dec 2011 1:33AM GMT 
JonathanEvery 8 Jan 2013 10:16PM GMT 
falconbex 9 Jan 2013 2:56AM GMT 
JonathanEvery 12 Feb 2013 5:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic