Search for content in message boards

Leigh family of Egginton, Derbyshire and the Leigh family of Adlington

Replies: 6

Leigh family of Egginton, Derbyshire and the Leigh family of Adlington

Posted: 22 Aug 2008 10:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone help me with the descent of this branch of the Leigh family? What I have pieced together from A2A is the following.

Robert Leigh senior of Adlington
His son...
Reginald/Reynold married c.1482 Mary Vernon dau of Thomas Vernon - Mary is a widow by 1508.
(1479 a draft will was created by Reginald mentioning his brothers William of Ingoldesby and Peres (Peter?), and his bastard son James.)

Reginald had a legitimate son Robert who around 1508 married Anne Lathbury heir of her grandfather John and through her inherited the Egginton estate. Robert died c. 1525

William Leigh inherited Egginton so I assume that he was the son of Robert and Anne and he died before 1547. at some point he married Dorothy (the mother of his son Thomas) who remarried on William's death Richard Nedham of Snitterton.

His son Thomas was a minor on his fathers' death, and married in 1552 Anne Dethyk dau of William Dethyk.

Henry Leigh (son of Thomas?) inherited the estate c1598. married Catherine Horton of Catton. His heir was his daughter Anne who married Sir Simon Every, first baronet Every of Egginton.

Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry lists Reginald the son of Robert of Adlington as being the younger brother of Thomas of Adlington, son Of Robert Leigh and Ellen Booth but no mention is made of his brothers William and Peres, adding to the confusion this Robert could not be known as Robert Leigh senior as he didn't have a son Robert.

I believe Reginald to be the son of an earlier Robert but I am at a loss to try and locate the correct one.

Reference: D5236/6/22
Creation dates: [1478]

Grant by Reginald Legh' son of Robert Legh' of Adlyngton'
(Cheshire), esquire and James Legh' his brother rector of Rawstorn' (Cheshire), William Legh' of Ingoldesby (Lincolnshire) James' brother, Peter Legh' esquire, John Fletcher of Rawstorn' chaplain, Christopher Midelton' living in Adlyngton' and William Bradley of Chapel in le Fryth' of all property in Derbyshire
Witnesses: Ralph Browne, Edward Bagshawe, Ralph Assheton'
Dated feast of St James the Apostle 18 Edw IV [25 Jul]

Reference: D5236/9/27
Creation dates: 1479
Language: English and Latin

Deed setting up a trust to enact the will of Reginald Legh, son of Robert Legh of Adlyngton, esquire, deceased, for the benefit, successively, of any unborn heirs, his bastard son James, his brothers William and Peres and any of their heirs, starting with a feoffment to make an estate, by Reginald Legh to his brother William Legh of Ingeldesby and 8 others, of all his lands, tenements, rents, etc. at Godesclyf, Taksall and Adlyngton in Derbyshire and Cheshire, Monday before the Feast of St Michael the Archangel 19 Edw IV [27 Sep 1479]

If anyone can help shed some light on to this family I would be extremely grateful.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
falconbex 23 Aug 2008 4:25AM GMT 
jdgreg2 26 Nov 2008 3:22PM GMT 
wooltucker1 14 Sep 2010 1:35PM GMT 
falconbex 16 Dec 2011 1:33AM GMT 
JonathanEvery 8 Jan 2013 10:16PM GMT 
falconbex 9 Jan 2013 2:56AM GMT 
JonathanEvery 12 Feb 2013 5:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions