Search for content in message boards

Philip le Despencer son of Hugh le Despencer and Isabella de Beauchamp?

Replies: 2

Re: Philip le Despencer son of Hugh le Despencer and Isabella de Beauchamp?

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hugh le Despenser - husband of Isabel/Isabella de Beauchamp -called by history "The Elder" and his son Hugh "The Younger" have arguably been classed as two of the most evil nobles in British history as advisors to the despotic King Edward II. Both were executed for their crimes in late 1326 by Roger de Mortimer and his lover Queen Isabella. They are my ancestors as are Mortimer and Queen Isabella in different lines due to me fortunately being a descendant of Mayflower passenger Richard More, who has well-documented noble/royal ancestry.
The Despenser/Beauchamp marriage produced 4 children, 3 of them were in the More ancestry, Philip being one of those.
Per Douglas Richardson's Magna Carta Ancestry pages 275-76 and 612, Philip le Despenser (d.1313) was the 1st husband of Margaret Goushill (d.1349). The Philip married to Joan de Cobham was their son.

For more on the Despensers, let me know.

For more on the whole fascinating reign of Edward II, the Despensers, Mortimer and Queen Isabella, an excellent read is "The Greatest Traitor - The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer Ruler of England 1327-1330" by Ian Mortimer.

Alton Rogers
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Laura William... 21 Aug 2012 5:53PM GMT 
jayswith 27 Aug 2012 1:09PM GMT 
aer437 10 Jan 2013 5:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic