Search for content in message boards

RE: Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

Replies: 6

Re: Where to find - Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

Posted: 24 Mar 2005 8:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 1:31PM GMT
You are not ignorant. The Mcdonald papers are an extreamly obscure referance. They are a collection of stories about the R-War written down circa 1830. The papers/books have never been transscribed into print. They were recopied before the typewritter. Later, they were microfilmed. There may only be two copies in existance. One in maybe in Bedford (I don't know the state). I found the other in NY. It belongs to the Westchester Hist Soc. The papers are not redily available.

Even though the content of the stories is subject to embelishment the story tellers name names. They also sometimes comment on an a character in the story as to their personality our how they looked.

I can tell you this the Refugees were mostly terrorist. Do not get me wrong. The Yankees played the same game. At night both sides slipped behind enemy lines. They usually looted someone they knew to be an enemy and had a nice horse or something else that was easily moved. Had there been recent house burnings or murder they would return the favor. New York city needed beef and the British needed horses. The main source of these were from the Loyalists. The other name for the Refugees was cowboys. They were all excellant horsemen as well as being very daring.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Carol Anne Shiels 6 Mar 2005 6:37PM GMT 
R_mesnard 23 Mar 2005 8:40PM GMT 
Carol Anne Shiels 24 Mar 2005 12:24AM GMT 
R_mesnard 24 Mar 2005 3:39PM GMT 
Myrt :) 3 May 2005 11:55AM GMT 
sramm1963 11 Jan 2010 4:40AM GMT 
susancox1059 18 Apr 2012 8:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic