Inu

Replies: 3

READERS' FEEDBACK: Is Inu a surname?

Posted: 16 Sep 2005 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
DearMYRTLE, your friend in genealogy
--------------------------------------------------------
READERS' FEEDBACK: Is Inu a surname?

NOTE: While I am at my sister's home following the funeral, ol' Myrt here will post my new columns on this mailing list and on my message board, but not at www.DearMYRTLE.com or on my blog. I will have a bit
of catch-up to play when I return home next week, eh?

RE: Is Inu a surname?
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/admin.message/an/topics.me...

DearMYRTLE,
Occasionally the confusion about a surname like INU arises because someone actually saw LNU on a document and misread it. Although LNU is also a surname, it more commonly means 'last name unknown' and is found on many old documents. Similar problems arise from FNU ('first name unknown) and MNU (middle name unknown). It is wise to eliminate these acronyms, along with UNK, from family tree
programs and reports so that the mistakes don't keep being passed on.

I just wanted to thank for for your easy-to-follow & understand
step-by-step approach to research, as illustrated in the subject email. It is a God-send! God bless!

DearMYRTLE,
But how about "UNK," "NMN" and "NMI" ? ;-)

My wild guess for the day is that "Inu" is a misreading of "Jno" in 1780s handwriting. That's the old abbreviation for John, though I've had a newbie protest that couldn't be, it had be something longer like Jonathan. As you know, capital J and capital I could look much alike.

Another possibility -- "Ines," or Innes, one of my ancestors. Also spelled or read as "Ives." [James Innes made will 4 Mch 1703, Baltimore MD.]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Lois 8 Sep 2005 10:34PM GMT 
Myrt :) 17 Sep 2005 12:10AM GMT 
dearmyrtle 17 Sep 2005 12:17AM GMT 
CaStallein 3 Jul 2011 4:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions