Search for content in message boards

Search

Replies: 6

Re: SearchThe name Bukaty

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 2:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Here goes, I will try: My grandfather was one of 6 boys & 2 girls. They all came thru EllisIsland. Try www.ellisislandrecords.org/search. The name is Ukranian & Polish. I knew my grandpa's brothers and sisters. On the tomb stones & immigration papers, it is Bukata. The oldest one changed it to Bukaty. I have seen spellings of Boogaty, which is the way it sounds if pronounced in Polish In addressing a female of Bukaty in Polish, it would come out Bukata. I have seen it spelled Bukattie, etc. It depends on who was taking the info at the time. In one genealogy from another side they mentioned how in 1793 Russia took most of Lithuania and the Ukraine, & Prussia took Danzig & most of the country west of Warsaw. In 1795 Russia took the rest of the Ukraine, Prussia took Central Poland and Austria took the remainder of the south; Poland no longer existed as a country and remained this way until 1918. My great grandmother Bukata went to the Russian church here. I know my father referred to some dishes in Russian. I know there are Bukata's back east in Buffalo. There probably is a side that did not change the name. I do not know my great grandfather's family of brothers & sisters. I do know he did have a brother. In doing our research, my cousin & I always look up Bukata. We plan on going to the church where our dads were baptised, etc. I do know, if you are a Bukaty, you are related somehow. As one cousin said, he had 26 first cousins at one time. Big Catholic families, mostly boys in one. Will be happy to answer anything that I can. I've been doing both sides of my family and believe there is no end. My grandfather's brothers and sisters families attended the Polish Church. Any help, let me know. What was your Uncle's first name if you don't mind telling.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kazimieras Bukota 11 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
polishpearl16... 17 Jun 2002 4:29AM GMT 
Kazimieras 17 Jul 2002 9:13AM GMT 
polishpearl16... 18 Jul 2002 8:04PM GMT 
FrankHatton51 12 Oct 2004 12:38AM GMT 
RobertJarvis1... 25 Jun 2011 1:22AM GMT 
RobertJarvis1... 25 Jun 2011 1:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic