Search for content in message boards

Check, check and check again

Replies: 7

Check, check and check again

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 9:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
May I remind everyone out there how important it is to check your information, cross reference it if at all possible and always look at the original document if you can.("view the original") I have been doing family research for more years than I care to think about, (since the days before 'Ancestry', when the only way to search was to go to the relevant record office and pore over dusty volumes and microfilm) and I am still amazed at how many people 'publish' their information on sites such as this one - clearly without having confirmed that its correct. I cite several trees on this site which I have had cause to look at, with dates of death for people who I have found alive on the following Census, 'births' to women who would definitely be 'past it' and so on. Errors in names, such as taking the transcribed Census entry as gospel, and not checking to see what it really said - the list goes on, and some of the mistakes I have seen are just carelessness.
Take some time to review your information and check dates, and check and check again - things are not always as they seem.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ElaineW58 14 Dec 2012 4:56PM GMT 
SusanAllan49 9 Jan 2013 6:15PM GMT 
ElaineW58 11 Jan 2013 5:19PM GMT 
rickathedj 11 Jan 2013 6:21PM GMT 
SusanAllan49 11 Jan 2013 6:59PM GMT 
rickathedj 9 Jan 2013 10:01PM GMT 
Hopeful_Helpe... 10 Jan 2013 5:38PM GMT 
rickathedj 10 Jan 2013 6:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions