Search for content in message boards

Opinion on evidence or lack thereof...

Replies: 0

Opinion on evidence or lack thereof...

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have two problems with connecting relatives:

Problem 1: Connecting my great-great grandmother, Augusta Gilder to her father, James B. Horne.

a) I have been told by a cousin that my great-great grandmother was Augusta Horne. He was told this information by his father and grandfather. My cousin's grandfather was told the information by his grandmother (my great-great-great grandmother, Mary Smyrl Horne, widow of James B. Horne). Mary also passed in information about her husband James, who was killed during the Civil War.

b) Census records show Mary Smyrl Horne and her husband James B. Horne in the 1860 Census (Wilkinson County, GA) and Mary Smyrl Horne as a widow in 1870 (Wilkinson County, GA) list an Augustus A. Horne-male, but no daughter named Augusta. My assumption is that this was an error by the census taker. Augusta's brother James is also listed as Jane-female in the 1860 census.

c) I have yet to find any records that list Augusta other than the 1880 census (Pulaski County, GA) and 1900 census (Wilkinson County, GA) which show her as Augusta Gilder, living with her children including my great-grandfather in the 1900 Census. There is no death record or known tombstone for Augusta nor have I been able to find a marriage for Augusta Horne to James Gilder. There are no Horne relatives near Augusta in either census. There is a picture of Mary Smyrl Horne with her granddaughter Dora Horne Faulk and grandson William Coleman Horne, both children of Augusta Gilder. The picture and the identification of Mary comes from the William Coleman side. The Gilder surname was dropped for an unknown reason.

---Is this enough evidence to state that Augusta Gilder is Augusta Horne, who is listed as Augustus A.?

Problem 2: Connection James B. Horn to his probable father, Michael Horne.

1) I have eliminated all the Horne families in the area of Wilkinson County, GA as being related to James B. After many years, I learned acquired two pieces of information. First, James B. Horne married Mary Smyrl in Russell County, AL (per Mary's application for a Widow's Civil War pension filed in Twiggs County, GA). Second, a great-granddaughter of one Michael Horne, wrote down some genealogical information in 1930 about the Horne family and the Smyrl family.

A) The journal states that Jimmie Horne was the son of Michael Horne and Miss Thompson and listed their children. The 1850 census lists all of the children listed in the journal, but does NOT list my ancestor James B., but rather a Jane-female, who is about the right age to be James. Michael Horne (Hearnes) lived in Russell County, AL in 1850 census. Michael appears to have been missed in 1840 and the 1830 census for him only lists one daughter.

B) The journal then talks about the Smyrl family and mentions a Mary Smyrl who married Jimmie Horne. She then goes on to mention that Mary's brother James T. Smyrl married Martha Horne, sister of Jimmie. Martha does appear in the 1850 census in the household of Michael Horne.

C) I have been able to verify all of the information provided in the journal via census, birth, death and marriage records. The writer was surprisingly well informed with only a few minor mistakes, such as listing one women's husband as George Jarrell instead of Henry Jarrell. Or stating that James B. lived near Cochran, Pulaski, GA rather than in Wilkinson County, Ga.

D) I have not yet been able to locate any evidence in state or local records that connect Michael and James.

E) Michael had a brother named James Booth Horne, he also named a daughter Augusta/Augustine.

---Is this sufficient evidence to assume that James was the son of Michael or do I need to keep digging?

Thanks,
Sandra Horne Farmer

You can email me directly at sandraf9302 at hotmail.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions