Search for content in message boards

Need advice on dealing with local historical/genealogical society...

Replies: 8

Re: Need advice on dealing with local historical/genealogical society...

Posted: 25 Mar 2008 12:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'd also add that another approach could be joining the local organization as a volunteer, and helping to get a system in place for annotating existing data. There are many positive aspects of offering monitored annotations of a public record, including helping to bolster membership by encouraging the public to return to an online posting.

Inspired by the tools at Ancestry.com to annotate their online records, I sent an email to the main historical society in Wisconsin to request corrections to a state government index. I was amazed by their positive response; they were happy to make the changes because I included proof of inaccuracies in the published index - which is different than claiming inaccuracy in the records themselves.

Having said that, in later submissions of corrections, I successfully argued that the original interpretation of the spelling in a hand-written record could easily be reinterpreted.

In the local genealogical society, I've recently come across the attitude by a board member in charge of research services that the concept of spending time to offer corrections to posted information was outrageous.

I really do think of it as a personal ethics question.

Gary Rebholz
Milwaukee Wisconsin
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hrcrtr 25 Jan 2008 9:00PM GMT 
Linda Matthew... 27 Jan 2008 4:37AM GMT 
rebholzgary 25 Mar 2008 6:07PM GMT 
BrynneHolland 5 Jan 2009 6:40PM GMT 
hrcrtr 7 Jan 2009 6:27PM GMT 
mtss915 10 Jul 2010 4:01PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 15 Jul 2012 7:11PM GMT 
hrcrtr 15 Jul 2012 10:53PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 19 Jul 2012 4:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions