Search for content in message boards

Request to remove information - don't know how to respond.

Replies: 12

Request to remove information - don't know how to respond.

Posted: 2 Jun 2010 2:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've been asked by another researcher to remove an individual from my tree. This is a relative of the person requesting, and they state their reason is that they want to keep their family data private.

I immediately and unquestionably act if I am asked to do this because the person in question is still living, but in this case the individual is no longer living.

I want to respect the requester's privacy, but if I removed non-living people whenever I was asked, I'd have to go in and manually set the individual to living in my own database, save and re-upload the file, then go back and set them to not living. THEN, I'd have to remember to do that for THAT individual again the next time somebody else asked me to remove someone.

I'd either have to maintain (and update) two separate databases (one with the non-living set to living and one accurate) or I'd have to keep a list of everyone that had to be changed to living and back again each time such a request was made.

I'm planning to respond to the person making the request with very much what I've said here, but I wanted to check what other people feel first. I have no desire to upset anyone, but I've gone to great lengths to make sure no living persons get listed, and as I've said, I change the files immediately when that does come up. Should I be expected to cater my tree to the preferences of others?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LeslieHasting... 2 Jun 2010 8:20AM GMT 
BryanMehn 2 Jun 2010 7:07PM GMT 
white_roses 3 Jun 2010 11:10AM GMT 
mksch1111 3 Jun 2010 4:30PM GMT 
LeslieHasting... 4 Jun 2010 7:11AM GMT 
white_roses 4 Jun 2010 10:21AM GMT 
JanetH88 11 Jul 2012 2:45PM GMT 
Katherine Bro... 19 Jun 2010 12:14PM GMT 
white_roses 19 Jun 2010 1:16PM GMT 
Katherine Bro... 20 Jun 2010 5:47AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions