Search for content in message boards

How Honest Should You Be?

Replies: 10

Re: How Honest Should You Be?

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

Just another view, I have been doing genealogy for over 10 yrs. I have a family tree with almost 10,000 members from the USA to Canada, to England, Australia and Cape of Good Hope in South Africa. In my research, I have seen most everything that would have been "hush hush" as they say in the old days.

The first time I found something like that I thought it was awful, but you have to take into account, the year this was entered, was the family immigrant, were they itinerant farm workers and therefore unschooled. Did the person have a hearing or speech deficit. Obviously we are not privy to all that information through a census taker. In the earlier days, census takers were people who could write and I use that term loosely.

I can only tell you that I enter everything as I find it, unless their is family documentation to discount it and I always add a note saying this transcription of the information is as I read it at the time. Taking into account family members who may be of childbearing years, you may want to share the information with them.

Idiocy as they label it is not necessarily contagious or inherited, some people come by it without inheriting it. If you get my drift.

What I am trying to say is no one can make that decision, but you for your family, but I decided to be as factual as possible when entering information.

Good luck with your decision.....

Jen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ke1020 8 Jun 2011 5:42PM GMT 
Elaine Thomas 8 Jun 2011 6:22PM GMT 
ke1020 8 Jun 2011 6:27PM GMT 
LadyJen23 9 Jun 2011 12:58AM GMT 
BobGaudio 9 Jun 2011 12:08PM GMT 
Marvaq60 9 Jun 2011 9:37PM GMT 
EdanaDaithi 11 Jun 2011 4:20PM GMT 
LHSwisher 14 Jun 2011 4:34AM GMT 
Robert Keyes 6 Nov 2012 7:58PM GMT 
falsterden 9 Mar 2013 4:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions