Search for content in message boards

Incorrect Data and Data Protection

Replies: 0

Incorrect Data and Data Protection

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Please when you down load family tree data via Gedcom or by any other means onto any web site act responsibly. And only enter proven information. Sadly there is so much incorrect information entered onto Genealogy web sites now by people who just seem to want to get the bigest global tree regardless. This information gets duplicated over and over again,and is very often incorrect.
It gives Genealogy a bad name. When information is entered time and time again you start to think that the information must be correct!!!! Newer members to Genealogy may beleive this information.
Please help to stamp out this practice. There is nothing worse than seeing your own family tree which you have spent years tracing being rubished on a web site.
Also be aware that in the infant days of some Genealogy web sites, in order to build a tree you had to enter information regarding living family members. This information may have been transfered onto Gedcom. Please be aware of Data Protection.Never enter information regarding a living relative without asking their permission.
Be aware of identity fraud.
Tracing your Family Tree can be a mine field. Frustratingly mad at times (as today) but oh so rewarding in the end. I have cried with both sadness and joy along the way. Made lots of new friends and found family I have never knew. Please make this possible for other people by cutting out the time waste of incorrect information.

Find a board about a specific topic