Roster of KENNEDY Company 1862 Wagon Train

Replies: 25

Roster of KENNEDY Company 1862 Wagon Train

Posted: 3 Feb 2005 12:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 May 2009 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: KENNEDY, ELLIS
To all:
I am reposting my notice of 2000 as feel that there may be other new Oregon Trail Family researchers that may have missed my 1st post.

I am a descendent of John K. KENNEDY - Capt. of a Wagon Train which crossed the Oregon Trail in 1862. We are interested in updating the Reconstructed list of member's of the train that was compiled by Marjorie Ellis Miles in 1993 . The list is far from complete and we are hoping that new research by descendents can help add to it. Many of these came from Mahaska, Co., Iowa and settled in Baker Union and Linn Co., OR and Walla Walla and Columbia Co., WA. The reconstructed list was compiled from personal family histories, 3 diaries written on the trail: Hamilton Scott's Diary, The Diary of J. S. McCLUNG, Robert Scott's diary, articles by wagon train member's that were printed in the later years of their lives, and the Diary of Jane Gould, a member of another wagon train that crossed paths with the KENNEDY train.

We have surnames as follows, but many DO NOT HAVE given names or a list of all of the children:

ALGOODS, ARTHING, BAILEY, BOVEE, BALLARD, BOWELL,BOWMAN, CLARK, COLLINS, COONS, CREAMER, CULBERSON, CUMMINS, OCHERMAN, ORNDORF, PAUL, DOKE, STOREY, PIPER, RALEY, MOORE, RAYBURN, REDHEFFLER, ROUNCEVILLE, RUSSELL, SCOTT, SLATER, SMALES, SMALLEY, STANFIELD, STOOTT, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, MADISON, CUMMIRE, CUNNINGHAM, DEITRICH, DELONG, DOLE, ELLIS, ESPSY, FILES FOREBUSH, GHOLSON, GOYER, HALE/HAIL, HALL, HOOVER, HUNTER, JAMES, KENNEDY, MCGUIRE, LITTLE, MCKY/MAKAY, MARD, MTEKER, MCCLUNG, MCCORMICK, MCGUIRE, MILLER, NEELY/NEELEY, NEWMAN, TAYLOR, TOWNSEND, VENNERNS, YOUNG, ZARING, HOWARD.

There are probably other’s who came with this train whose names we have not been able to glean from the diaries or other articles. We know for an example that even in the KENNEDY, ELLIS & McGUIRE families that not all the given names were listed. We also know that several smaller trains joined up with the KENNEDY train along the way as protection from the Indians and their names may be unknown.
This train is “famous” for the “altercation” that happened at Massacre Rocks, Idaho (American Falls, Idaho) which included the Smart, Adams and Newman Trains that the KENNEDY train met Aug. 9/10.
We also have a small list of graves found along the Trail that were noted in JS McClungs Diary.

We would like to hear from researchers/descendents of any of these families, and any other's who think they may have been part of this migration.

The train left Fremont, Mahaska Co., Iowa on April 24th 1862. They were joined by others in Council Bluffs. June 8th the train had 88 men, 46 women, 86 children for a total of 220 people, 52 Wagons, 315 cattle & 38 horses and mules. More joined as they crossed the plains and it arrived in OR on Sep. 18 and then in Walla Walla Sept 27.

Many of the wagon train families were allied by marriages both prior to the trip and after. PAULS married ZARINGS, ZARINGS married ELLIS & ELLIS's married KENNEDYS, CUMMINS married PAUL, MCGURIE's m. KENNEDYS and NEELYS and the list goes on.

I am particularly interested in finding a family or descendents of "Buckskin" HALE who was on the train, and determining if he was Mesac HALE.

Mesac HALE married John K. KENNEDYS sister, Jane in Greene Co. TN. Jane and Mesac had one known son, William. They also came west, but we are not sure if it was with KENNEDY train. They settled in Linn Co., OR. I believe that they had children, Laura, William (who may have removed to Walla Walla to live near his Uncle John KENNEDY) and Jefferson.
Jane married a William McMicken/McMeechen after Mesac died.

We would also like to compile a list of family researcher's for these families.

Please let me hear from you if your family was on this train, or you think that they may have been.

Jayne McCarley, Marti ELLIS Lehman, Margjorie ELLIS Miles, - are project co-ordinators.

Our Thanks to Marjorie for all the work she has already done on this project.
Thank You,
Jayne McCarley Gt. Gt. Granddaughter of John K. KENNEDY
e-mail has changed to: jaymccarley1@comcast.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jayne_mccarle... 3 Feb 2005 7:58PM GMT 
historicallyd... 4 Jun 2005 4:31AM GMT 
Kristina Lassen 17 Jan 2006 10:02PM GMT 
James E. Hurley 3 Jul 2006 4:49PM GMT 
Mark E Walton 13 Aug 2006 8:45PM GMT 
cowboynsaddle 17 May 2009 5:12PM GMT 
jayne_mccarle... 21 Jan 2010 7:02PM GMT 
dormag55 18 Jan 2010 3:10AM GMT