Search for content in message boards

1847 Kimsey-Smith Mo->OT on Barlow Trail: Jesse Townsend?

Replies: 4

1847 Kimsey-Smith Mo->OT on Barlow Trail: Jesse Townsend?

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 1:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Apr 2009 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: Crowley, Kimsey, Smith, Simpson, Townsend, McCracken
I'm lokking for information about Jesse Townsend, purported captain of the 2nd Kimsey party migration. They left Independence on 1 May 1847 and traveled the Barlow Road.

The party included 3 generations of Kimseys (elders were James II and Hannah McCracken), intermarried with a bewildering assortment of related Crowley, Smith, Simpson, Townsend and McCracken cousins.

Jesse Townsend was married to Hannah Smith, sister of Absolom, Perry and Doctor Smith, all immigrants. Absolom and Perry were married to Kimsey sisters, daughters of James and Hannah above, and Doctor's daughter Maudana married Duffield Kimsey, son of James and Hannah.

Jesse Townsend and Doctor Smith both died on the Trail (killed?) near Green River, WY.

I'm trying to connect Jesse to Polk, Oregon pioneers John Townsend and wife Lettie Simpson, daughter of Elizabeth Kimsey (sister of James II) and James Simpson (and sister of Massey Simpson who married John Kimsey, brother of Duffield, son of James and Hannah...). John and Lettie named their first son Jesse. I'd also like to know if John and young Lettie were part of this 1847 wagon train.

The 1860 census also lists another Townsend family in Salt Lake, Polk, headed by, perhaps, Ira???

I'd also like to find the connection between these Townsends and Rachel Townsend, b. 1788 NC, who married Samuel Crowley Kimsey, brother of James II (never left Missouri).

This is all clear drawn on a tree! The puzzle is the Townsends. I can't find anything on the Townsend Boards. Can anyone here help?

Thanks,
Janelle
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jeozeran 26 Apr 2009 7:52PM GMT 
tfoss199 6 Nov 2009 4:24AM GMT 
dvidakromer39 2 Apr 2012 8:39AM GMT 
jeozeran 2 Apr 2012 8:10PM GMT 
jeozeran 2 Apr 2012 8:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions