Search for content in message boards

Origin of Darroch

Replies: 3

Re: Origin of Darroch/Durrow

Richard Dorrough (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2005 6:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Saint Columcille."He founded, about the year 550, the great monastery of Dair-Magh, now called Durrogh, which original name signifies Field of Oaks" I was wondering if it is possible that this is not correct. My name is Richard Dorrough and I have done quite a bit of research on the Origin of my name. I have attached a file for you to look at with some of my work on it. Variations of my name are listed as Darrow,Durrow,Darragh and etc. I have also seen these listings for Durrow in reference to Durrow Abbey and the Book of Durrow. What is common if all the historys I have seen(With the exception of Durrow Abbey as above) is that the name evolved from DubhDara(Daire) meaning Black (Dubh) and Oak(Dara,Daire) and different variations evolved from Darragh. One of the three familys who made up the Clan Lugain were the ODubhDaras(Darraghs) who were Kings of Fermanagh in the 10th and 11th century whos property became the stronghold of the Maguires in the 13th and 14th centuries. I have traced their lineage back through the Annals of the Four Masters and other sources. I was curious due to the similarity of the Durrow and Durrough with the other variations. It appears that Dubhdara(Darragh/Dorough/Durrow etc is a consistent Family name in this lineage. What is the common bond is that this line back to Conn of the Hundred Battles,Art and Cormac are the lineage of Saint Columcille. Is it not possible that Durrow Abbey and the Book of Durrow are named from Saint Coumcilles family name and not from Dair Meagh??? Also of interest is how MANY Abbots listed in the Annals had the name Dubh…combined with how many Saints are listed in the Columcille pedigree. (Letter To Father Gregoryof Saint Coumcille)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Richard Dorrough 28 Mar 2005 10:54PM GMT 
Richard Dorrough 29 Mar 2005 1:35AM GMT 
Ann Borgman 3 Mar 2006 1:54AM GMT 
PhyllisB43 6 Nov 2012 7:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions