Search for content in message boards

Claim about Tripp name origin

Replies: 3

Claim about Tripp name origin

Posted: 2 Aug 2012 5:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
I see a lot of repeated claims on here that the Tripp named originated from The Howards, when Lord Howard's 5th son, Richard, scaled the wall at Boulogne France for King Henry V. When Richard was asked how he did it, he told the king "he tripped" over the wall and the king declared thereafter that any descendents of Richard, would hereby have the surname of Tripp. It is further claimed by a Collins that this citation can be found in the Book of Doomsday. First of all I presume he means the Book of Domesday, not Doomsday. Further, whatever online sources there are of that book, searching for the name of Howard or Tripp doesn't spit back anything. That's not to say, it isn't there, I would just like to know if someone has an actual copy.

Most people who came to America that were religous expats, as were the Quakers, were indentured, including John Tripp. So that means one of a couple of things. They lost their land somehow or the claim that this info appears in the Book of Domesday is bogus (although it might make us all feel all royal and all).

The Book of Domesday was commissioned by William the Conguerer and William was aka William the Bastard. He also had an eye for the ladies shall we say.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pgate143 2 Aug 2012 11:47AM GMT 
jantripp_1 3 Aug 2012 5:20PM GMT 
pgate143 3 Aug 2012 7:34PM GMT 
swoodcollins 2 Sep 2012 9:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions